Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last sweet pepper harvest. I might check to see if I missed a few, but the tops are drying out. We are using four large stuffed peppers this week. The rest will be cut up and frozen for cooking.
1635188181009.png

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
My gardening is really SO ragtag! I bought two 6 packs, which really had about 14 plants of baby watermelons...I THINK. Anyway, there were clearance and I waited forEVER to plant any. One produce 1 small watermelon. I harvested it this morning. It was VERY tasty!! :drool
I also saved the seeds and I am fermenting them. I tried to use a spoon to remove them, but the old fashioned, "eat and spit out the seeds" method ended up working the best.
I had to cut the melon into 9 pieces to share with my 3 horses tonight.
1635188866646.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well now I’m jelly, Ducks’!

Waaay more okra than we could use but I like it and should try it again.

“Grew” Blacktail Mountain watermelon twice. Total waste of space. Neighbor had lots of those plants one year. Fruit all over! He said that he had not one that ripened.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't want to inflict pain on @Artichoke Lover as response to the loss of the family's Australian Shepherd.
I had to respond to this, so here it is.
My friend, actually First a riding student of mine, THEN my DD's friend, was a first time dog owner, a white Standard Poodle, "Effy." Lovely dog, who had genetic abnormalities and had to be euthanized at 7yo.
She was devastated.
She has recovered and just adopted a black standard poodle, "Margot,"--great names, btw.
I am so tired of the breeding in this country that produces sick animals, who should never have these severe illnesses at young or middle age.
Eva, GS, is 3yo. IDT she will get sick in the near future. If she does, I will be SURE to send the breeder an OBID.
It ALWAYS makes me angry and sickens me when innocents suffer for the quest of $.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
So FAR today, I have pulled up the first row of 8 tomatoes. I was amazed how many green ones that looked like they could ripen inside. I canned 4 quarts of tomatoes yesterday, which looked good enough to cook with. THESE will ripen and be labeled, "bean tomatoes," to be used to soften beans without salt. We intend to pressure can any of these.
I brought my lone amaryllis in, knocked off the dirt, and put it in it's empty pot on it's side, in the dark, to go dormant for 10 weeks. Then, we will try to grow it flower in the Spring.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't want to inflict pain on @Artichoke Lover as response to the loss of the family's Australian Shepherd.
I had to respond to this, so here it is.
My friend, actually First a riding student of mine, THEN my DD's friend, was a first time dog owner, a white Standard Poodle, "Effy." Lovely dog, who had genetic abnormalities and had to be euthanized at 7yo.
She was devastated.
She has recovered and just adopted a black standard poodle, "Margot,"--great names, btw.
I am so tired of the breeding in this country that produces sick animals, who should never have these severe illnesses at young or middle age.
Eva, GS, is 3yo. IDT she will get sick in the near future. If she does, I will be SURE to send the breeder an OBID.
It ALWAYS makes me angry and sickens me when innocents suffer for the quest of $.
It really make me mad too. Luckily in the past 10 years there been a bigger push for healthier breeding. I believe recently they’ve started breeding healthier strains of English bulldogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Boston Terriers and Corgis all of which are breeds that tend to have a lot of genetic problems.

Latest posts