Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Almost forgot--I DID get a pretty good sweet potato harvest. Found and old box for them to cure in. I only had 3 slips, but in 2022 I intend to plant a whole plot of them.

Attachments

• Sweet potato harvest, October, 2021.jpg
    Sweet potato harvest, October, 2021.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 84

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
C'MON!!! We who can ALWAYS have at least few jars of "what the fudge was I thinking when I canned this?!?!?"
Anyway, I have quite a few, and I have been emptying the unwanted produce in my garden bed, putting the rusty lids and screw tops in my scrap metal recycle trash can, to be recycled later, although the local place gives me nothing, but at least they don't go to a landfill. I admit having these jars, which are clean and scrubbed up Now, but need to
get run through the dishwasher.
Old produce in jars that I NEED, Oct 2021.jpg

There is no "bad canning anonymous" for me. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the last of the big sweet peppers (stuffed, of course,) for dinner last night. There were also a few jalepanoes that I brought in on Sunday...not sure what I want to do with them.
View attachment 44986
Split in half, scoop out seeds. Stuff with cream cheese or cheddar, wrap with bacon and bake at 350.

Recipe...Pls.
Fried green tomatoes. Pour half cup of milk and one egg in a bowl, beat. Slice tomatoes, dip in milk and egg, roll in cornmeal, place on plate. I like to get them all ready to go so I'm not burning what is in the skillet while trying to get more ready to fry. LOL Fry on medium high until golden brown. Salt and enjoy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always plant sets, but I hardly EVER get onions of Any decent size. This year I got a handful.
View attachment 44978

onions seem to need pretty good soil, enough space and nutrients, plenty of sunlight, regular watering and they don't do that great with too much competition from weeds. so to me they are a bit more work than garlic (garlic i don't amend with worms when planting i use 2nd or 3rd year after amending).

what varieties have you tried? the largest onions i grow here are by planting starts (not sets) of Kelcey Giant sweet onions and they can get quite large. this year with the drought and heat almost all of them grew ok, but not as large as some have in the past. i think the largest i grew was about 14cm across this year, which is only about average for some of my better year's in the past. hard to keep things watered this year i had a lot of BS and distractions that i would prefer not to have again, but i think i'll be overruled by the management so i'll just have to suck it up and cope again. :) haha! :)