Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I cleaned out an old pint jar and found a small crack in it, so I painted it with nail polish and it's new job is storage.
1635355452236.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOT the last tomato harvest. I pulled all of the first row, 8 plants and found 2 surprise watermelons. Most of the tomatoes are green, but I've done this before, and many will ripen inside, where it's warmer.
I will be canning blushed and green and labeling, "Tomatoes for Beans."
Not sure HOW many more I will harvest, but next Tuesday morning it promises to be 30 degrees F, so that Will be the end.
1635468375079.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've pulled the last tomatoes right before a freeze and they do ripen over time. A nice way to still have ripe tomatoes into the winter months.

normally our end of season routine was to bring in the larger green tomatoes and put them on a table in the garage where they could ripen and then use them for goulash or other dishes. some years we would have enough to can but this season the late summer weather was so wet and cloudy and the tomato plants were so scraggly that almost none of the late tomatoes were larger than a golf ball. so they are going to get buried along with the tomato plants. salsa for worms i guess. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Freeze tonight, which I knew was coming, frost this morning. Last harvesting was this weekend. I froze 8 quarts of sweet peppers cut up for spaghetti, etc. These 7 peppers are big enough for a final stuffed pepper meal tomorrow.Last big 2021 sweet peppers.jpg

Last edited: