Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to toss 12 tomatoes going bad. THIS group is ready to can, another group is blushing. I bet I am done with these tomatoes by Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• Last tomatoes to ripen, 11-08-21.jpg
    Last tomatoes to ripen, 11-08-21.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 95

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tractor is back, after waiting 2 weeks, with it's oil changed, ON schedule.
We had a little bit of trouble with the bucket, so I had the guys walk me through it.
I have had So little time driving my tractor, so I played around with it this afternoon.
Dug in the garden dirt and got stuck in a rut. I rocked out of it, looked at my watch, and decided to just put it away.
I DID put the 1st/2 coats of water seal on my picnic table.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tractor is back, after waiting 2 weeks, with it's oil changed, ON schedule.
We had a little bit of trouble with the bucket, so I had the guys walk me through it.
I have had So little time driving my tractor, so I played around with it this afternoon.
Dug in the garden dirt and got stuck in a rut. I rocked out of it, looked at my watch, and decided to just put it away.
I DID put the 1st/2 coats of water seal on my picnic table.
That sounds super fun....

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH, who "claims" that I am Master Gardener, (and I LET him!), wanted tobacco seeds. I bought these two online yesterday from:
One was developed in Sweden, so cold tolerant, and the other is tropical, set to grow 5 ft tall.
100 seeds in each packet.

Order Summary​

QTY
PRICE​
mail
Bafra Tobacco
Product ID: 1001271
1​
$2.95​
mail
Ahus Tobacco
Product ID: 1002111
1​
$2.95​
Subtotal:​
$5.90​
Discount:​
$0.00​
Shipping:​
$3.95​
Sales Tax:​
$0.00​
Total:​
$9.85​

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gonna SERIOUSLY try leeks this winter/spring. I bought 3 different types:
Tadorna Leek
Winter leek with stocky, dark green shafts that size up well and hold into the fall.

A favorite of growers in the Northeast for its vigorous growth and good resistance to disease. Well adapted to many regions; overwinters in mild climates. Good field resistance to leaf blights.
  • Winter crop
  • Uniform size
Alto Leek
Popular, fast growing, early summer leek with nice cylindrical shape and thick, white shaft.

Tall Bulgarian-type that can be left to mature for beautiful full-bodied leeks or harvested early for delicately flavored bunching leeks good for salads or lightly sauteed. Consistent performance in summer production, not a winter hardy variety.
  • Summer crop

Bandit Leek--
Thick, heavy winter leek for late harvests or overwintering.

Forms a very thick base with little bulbing, making cleaning easier and offering more weight per plant. Deeply colored blue-green flags stand upright. Elongate and blanch shafts by hilling. Mulch well for overwintering in northern regions.
  • Fall/winter crop
  • Upright habit

Items
Qty
Price
Tadorna Leek
SKU: 2694-A
Size
100 SEEDS
1​
$3.25​
Alto Leek
SKU: 2700-A
Size
1/64 OZ
1​
$3.60​
Bandit Leek
SKU: 2697-A
Size
100 SEEDS
1​
$3.85​
Subtotal​
$10.70​
Shipping & Handling​
$4.95​
Tax​
$0.98​
Estimated Total
$16.63

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The lady in Spokane WA that I follow (Digit's suggestion) just posted about her enormous harvest of leeks.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've yet to try growing leeks, primarily because (a) they need to be started under lights months in advance, and (b) I have zero experience using them (which come to think of it, is a poor argument for not trying them). I have however grown bunching onions from seed, which are started on a similar timetable.

And about leeks... Elephant Garlic is botanically a bulbing leek. They are planted at the same time as true garlic, but are less winter hardy. I gave up on them after several years, because the winter losses were too high; but @ducks4you , they would probably do better in your climate.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, THANKS for the quick responses! :hugs Eldest DD has turned into quite the chef and I try to supply her.
I understand that once you esTABLISH leeks they pretty much care for themselves.
Plus, they are a milder form of onion.
Waiting on 100 seeds/each of the 3 kinds.
I WILL post about my Leek adventures!

Latest posts