Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
C'MON!!! We who can ALWAYS have at least few jars of "what the fudge was I thinking when I canned this?!?!?"
Anyway, I have quite a few, and I have been emptying the unwanted produce in my garden bed, putting the rusty lids and screw tops in my scrap metal recycle trash can, to be recycled later, although the local place gives me nothing, but at least they don't go to a landfill. I admit having these jars, which are clean and scrubbed up Now, but need to
get run through the dishwasher.
View attachment 44980

There is no "bad canning anonymous" for me. :lol:

i've had some things given to us like that where i've emptied the contents and cleaned them up. right now i have some old jars of grape jam that are so old that they've lost their flavor and i'll dump them out on a plate some summer and hope the Orioles find them. i've hardly ever seen Orioles here so it would be a way of seeing if they're around but not feeding here because i never have fruits on trees/bushes that i can see or if it is just because they're not here. i have a few other jars of things that i'll feed to the worm farm in the middle of winter as an extra food source when fresh stuff is more scarce. almost all of the jars are not canning jars so they will end up in the recycling and not be reused again.

i've really only saved all of these because i hate to waste any kind of food even if it isn't very good or doesn't taste right i often can find another way to use it before it spoils. old jams will keep forever if they don't actively rot or have molds on them.

those are some pretty coroded rings!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
C'MON!!! We who can ALWAYS have at least few jars of "what the fudge was I thinking when I canned this?!?!?"
Anyway, I have quite a few, and I have been emptying the unwanted produce in my garden bed, putting the rusty lids and screw tops in my scrap metal recycle trash can, to be recycled later, although the local place gives me nothing, but at least they don't go to a landfill. I admit having these jars, which are clean and scrubbed up Now, but need to
get run through the dishwasher.
View attachment 44980

There is no "bad canning anonymous" for me. :lol:
It goes without saying that you can't be a member of "anonymous" if you flaunt your failures. ;)

In experimenting with unusual pickles, I usually make small batches using different methods, to find what works best. Regardless of whether one batch is successful, one thing that is certain is that at least one batch will be horrible. :sick I found gelatinous bitter melon to be especially repugnant... had to dump about 12 jars of that. And some old apple sauce that had solidified into a solid mass. :ep

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It goes without saying that you can't be a member of "anonymous" if you flaunt your failures. ;)

In experimenting with unusual pickles, I usually make small batches using different methods, to find what works best. Regardless of whether one batch is successful, one thing that is certain is that at least one batch will be horrible. :sick I found gelatinous bitter melon to be especially repugnant... had to dump about 12 jars of that. And some old apple sauce that had solidified into a solid mass. :ep
Yeah! Like my efforts to put my peppers to work in my wife's dinner! One day maybe!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had the last of the big sweet peppers (stuffed, of course,) for dinner last night. There were also a few jalepanoes that I brought in on Sunday...not sure what I want to do with them.
View attachment 44986
Do you like guacamole? I've not found a better use for jalapenos than that, except maybe corn tortillas with melted cheese, sour cream, salsa, and some chopped jalapeno on top.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you like guacamole? I've not found a better use for jalapenos than that, except maybe corn tortillas with melted cheese, sour cream, salsa, and some chopped jalapeno on top.
I do believe I am green and squishy inside. I really love guac! Its hard to beat a stuffed jalapeno though. Cream cheese is another favorite!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do believe I am green and squishy inside. I really love guac! Its hard to beat a stuffed jalapeno though. Cream cheese is another favorite!
Yum! Do you eat the jalapeno raw, cut in half & stuffed with the cream cheese? I don't think I'm woman enough to be able to eat that much jalapeno in one bite though...
:hide

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yum! Do you eat the jalapeno raw, cut in half & stuffed with the cream cheese? I don't think I'm woman enough to be able to eat that much jalapeno in one bite though...
:hide
IMG_20211104_190558.jpg

I like'm crunchy!

Latest posts