Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you go back to #268 you can see this year's sage. My other sage died after around 15 years. I Still have to clean up my herb bed, where the first one was growing, but more and more flowers are encrouching into vegetable beds and more vegetables and herbs are encroaching into flower beds at my place.
Cooking a duck for lunch/dinner today and the sage will help.
Btw, I don't dehydrate or freeze my sage. I pick it off the plant during the winter to use as is. I have had good results. This saves me time to pursue Other gardening jobs, imho, like Maybe, JUST MAYBE I can prep a bed or two for 2022.
THAT would be a first!! :gig

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually Don't like it as well as the Clemson Spineless. Too skinny, less produce.
Still, I will be saving the seeds. It's called, "Firecracker." After I announce that seeds are saved from it, I could send you some, if you like.
I bought some Burgandy okra for next year. The pictures of it look to be a reddish version of the Clemson Spineless.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening is so FULL of mistakes. Like, I planted garlic very late, and the soil turned out to be rock hard around them. Still, I managed to harvest a few small ones, and getting ready to replant them. THESE are the ones I missed.
They seem Very Happy there, along with a volunteer mum, a Very Tall yellow mini rose, an assortment of purple columbine, threatening to take over the front beds, and a soon-to-be-dug-out-and-taken-inside Calla lilly.
1634659210173.png

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
No frost yet, maybe Saturday morning?
I thought that I would have more ripe tomatoes, but they have slowed WAAAAYYYY down.
Started to bring them in and put them in bowls, as I always do before a frost. They mostly ripen up and I have one or two canning parties.
Okra has also slowed down.
I am wondering if it more Light than temperature? :hu

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No frost yet, maybe Saturday morning?
I thought that I would have more ripe tomatoes, but they have slowed WAAAAYYYY down.
Started to bring them in and put them in bowls, as I always do before a frost. They mostly ripen up and I have one or two canning parties.
Okra has also slowed down.
I am wondering if it more Light than temperature? :hu
Oh yes. The sun changes 17 degrees down so by fall equinox it is basically 9 degrees lower, the energy getting reduced by the atmosphere even if light seems bright. Specifically on windows the energy is reduced by the cosine of the angle of the sun to the window so plants feel it also. I saw some cool photos of plants in the infrared spectrum. They absorb blue and red light but reflect heat of infrared.
infragram2.jpg

Latest posts