Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep checking my potatoes, even weeded the bed behind the house (west side and partly shady) on Saturday. The look a little bit like they are dying back, but not really YET.
Finally made a decent scalloped potatoes last week, and I look forward to making it again with my potatoes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits started a thread on Fall crops, so I posted there, instead of here, with my research on the subject. Granted Idaho has a different climate, and Gardening with Rabbits probably has a higher elevation than me, but it is worth trying. My original interest came from a Mid American Gardener panelist who said that Spring grown Brussels Sprouts are always sour, so plant them in theh Fall, instead.
Posts #'s, 8-12

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also, This:
Now let's talk about the 9 crops you can plant in August that I consider the base crops for planting a fall and winter garden.
Brassica or Cole Crops. The first of the crops you can plant in August is actually a whole family! ...
Kale. ...
Lettuce. ...
Chinese greens. ...
Carrots. ...
Spinach. ...
Swiss chard. ...
Beets
turnips
peas

1. RED ORACHE
2. PURPLE KOHLRABI
3. ORIENTAL LEAVES
4. SWISS CHARD
5. BABY CARROTS
6. SPINACH
7. BABY BEETROOT
8. PARSLEY
9. LEEKS
10. CLAYTONIA
"Make your drill deeper than normal, so instead of the usual 2in (5cm) opt for 3in (8cm). By burying the seeds deeper in the soil you’ll protect them from drying out, leading to better germination and emergence."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting program on container gardening. The host shows why it in counterproductive to put stones at the bottom of your pot for good drainage:
7:15-10:30/25:42
I DO think it's a good idea to put a coffee filter at the bottom to keep your soil from escaping bottom of a pot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal is right, I DO like to study. Just signed up for an email gardening course and I wanted to share the some advice for mid summer gardening.

How to Have a Productive Fall Garden (in 5 Easy Steps)​

"Make Space #4: Clear out Spent Plants
Harvest the seeds of any healthy crops or flowers that have gone to seed. Then chop and drop the plant matter directly onto the bed as mulch. Rather than pulling it out, cut the plant matter back and leave the decaying roots to feed the soil.
If you miss any seeds while harvesting, then you’ve just reseeded the beds for next year with little effort!"

I will try anything that makes sense, until I discover it doesn't work. Certainly leaving the roots keeps the soil broken up where the plant has already broken it up, something I had not considered. It also goes along with no tilling.
Any thoughts?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Make Space #5: Clear out Weeds
This is also a good time to clear out weeds, although keep in mind that many weeds are beneficial to the soil. (Learn more about some of my favorite weeds to welcome in the vegetable garden.) Rather than pulling the “good” weeds, cut them back and lay them on top of the soil or underneath the mulch to decompose as fertilizer."
I Disagree with leaving their roots bc I have seen many weeds regro when I do this. I DO, however, throw pulled weeds into my lawn to mulch down next time I mow.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Cut them to the ground about once a month and lay their green leaves directly on the soil."
THIS is what horse owners do when we mow our pastures. We knock down the taller weeds to let the shorter pasture grass have more sunlight. The weed tops fertilize the grass.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the list:
1. Broadleaf Plantain (Plantago major)
2. Chickweed (Stellaria media)
3. Lamb’s Quarters (Chenopodium album)
4. White Clover (Trifolium repens)
6. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
NONE get to stay in my garden beds.
End of season I wouldn't mind pulling and mulching those without seeds.
I have heard/read that you want to get RID OF the seeds. I have also written here and noticed that the weeds will often take a hit from insects who chew on THEM first, before the vegetables.
I DO leave white clover and dandelions in my pastures and lawn. Horses eat them and get nutrition from both, AND, when they are down to lots of clover, they get the slobbers, which reminds me that I had 30 bales of hay left from 2021 that I can feed them.

Last edited:

Latest posts