Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
After asking everywhere about controlling squash vine borers and squash bugs, I finally found a good video with great ideas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
This afternoon I am dehydrating my Cinnamon Basil, that I grew some 2021 seeds I had saved. About 1/2 of the patch went to seed, haven't didn't Yet, so I just broke them off close to the ground. I had too much and tried to only use undamaged leaves, rest to the (to be) burn(ed) barrel by the back door. I have plenty of seed stalks, too for next year.
Not sure how I will use these, but DD will have some ideas. :cool:
Should be done by tonight, or tomorrow morning, then saved in a labelled jar.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno if there will be ANY harvest, but sugar snap peas planted very late are up. I started to pull these little sprouts growing in the straw that I put on top of my garlic until I realized that they were oat sprouts, and I Want those.
I heavily watered my late beet planting, and all of the garlic INCLUDING the Garlic I was sent by @flowerbug!!
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee
who Also sent me some butterfly weed, milkweed, garlic bubules, and Purple Dove beans seeds (far left picture.)
I repackaged them immediately, but the garlic and bubules have been planted and well watered. BEAUTIFUL garlic!!! I have now about 50 future garlic growing in my garden. :Dd
Flowerbug seeds, 09-22-22.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it right to water all of my beans this morning, since it's been so dry. I have stopped harvesting from my purple beans and I see quite a few large pods forming beans on the them. I will give them a few days to grow a bit more, then take @Bluejay77 's advice,
Post #1613, so late this week I will probably prune them by the roots and tie them to the chickenwire fencing.
This inCLUDES my one yard long bean plant, which has 3 long harvestable beans right now, but I want to grow it again next year. It really produced for me for the last month.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it right to water all of my beans this morning, since it's been so dry. I have stopped harvesting from my purple beans and I see quite a few large pods forming beans on the them. I will give them a few days to grow a bit more, then take @Bluejay77 's advice,
Post #1613, so late this week I will probably prune them by the roots and tie them to the chickenwire fencing.

if you have no frosts or rains coming let them go as long as they can as then the seeds can be sure to be as developed as much as possible. root pruning will certainly speed up the harvest, but if you don't need the space for anything else why cut it short? or are you on a schedule? :)

glad the garlic/etc got there safely! :) it was quick but they did say the package would get there by Friday. :)

and yes those cloves and bulbules are lovely. when i say those cloves can get as big as my thumb now people know what i'm talking about.

oh, and those Purple Dove beans may not be fully dry so let that jar breath for a while longer before sealing up for storage. they just came out of my seeds that i was putting aside for replanting as i was shelling and some of those were still a little plump.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am winning the burdock war!!! Cleaning up the fenceline yesterday I realized that everywhere it is 50 % less than 2021, and FAR less than the forests of burdock that I used to have. :weee
Now, to debur the horses. One of them has 14 inches of forelock, which will soon be cut in 1/2. He is So patient, I Know that it hurts no matter how much Cowboy Magic I use, so I will save us some trouble.

:weee:weee

Latest posts