Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Gave my lemon thyme some friends--NOT labelled, common thyme, sage, green basil and opal basil. They were ALL in plastic sleeves, which I removed bc you could SEE that they didn't like the misted vegetable aisle at the grocery store.
Herbs on top of the AC window, 2022.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those who are wondering why I don't have these herbs lower, I have 7 cats and they LOOOOOVVVVVEEE to dig the dirt out of any inside plants. They won't jump this high, so my herbs are safe! :cool:
All plants need some drying out, and the rising heat in the LR works pretty well.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you store your squash?
I am keeping my pumpkins on the porch, but I don't know how long they will last there. :hu

it varies by type of squash/pumpkin. they should not be frozen or freezing.

we don't have very good storage space here so all of our winter squash are processed by now and in the freezer. i finished that up a few weeks ago.

to add a bit more specific information the range i just saw in one article says that they can be stored from two to six months and that the temperature should be 50-55 degrees F which is 10 – 13C. humidity at most 75% and not on a concrete floor. well ventilated for sure and you do have to keep an eye on them in case they do start going off you want to get them processed before they rot.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those who are wondering why I don't have these herbs lower, I have 7 cats and they LOOOOOVVVVVEEE to dig the dirt out of any inside plants. They won't jump this high, so my herbs are safe! :cool:
All plants need some drying out, and the rising heat in the LR works pretty well.
It might be necessary to put a light up there. I understand about the cats... and wonder if those plants are really out of reach, given their natural athleticism & determination. Hopefully the answer to that question is a negative. :hide

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My store bought winter squash were doing fine in the garage, but its been over 50 degrees during the day, so I'm thinking of a wire cage on the outside north side of house.
For my soft summer squash, IF I CAN CONTROL THE SQUASH BUGS this coming year, we eat, freeze and dehydrate.

I've got NUTHIN' on my beds this winter, trying to erase the burrowing squash bugs. We have had several freezes overnight.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update on the herbs: I took the plastic grocery store sleeves off and they all perked up. Not surprising, since we all have learned that most plants Don't like swampy living conditions. Here the new ones are this morning. Of Course, I saved the sleeves in a piece of garbage that will start some kind of seeds this year! :lol:
I noticed some roots sticking out of all of the pots. I am thinking they will need to be up potted in February.
Herbs on top of the AC window, 2022, #2.jpgSalad to go container with plastic herb sleeves, January, 2022.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
TT to Heirloomgirl about basil,
and she said the purple basil doesn't have a lot of uses.
As usual, I started a search on it and this is what I found out.
"Like other basil, Purple basil is packed with Vitamin K, which helps with blood clotting and aids in bone strength. Used medicinally for its antioxidants and antibacterial properties, basil oil provides an immune system boost and combats aging and skin ailments."
"
—Add it to a white bean salad with some red peppers and green onions

—Throw it into a pot of beans, tomatoes, potatoes, zuchinni, and onion

—Put it in a red sauce made from fresh tomatoes

—Garnish anything that the flavor of basil will complement

—Stir into a slaw of chopped carrots, fennel bulb, and garlic just before serving

—Make purple basil lemonade or, better still, purple basil watermelon/honeydew melon agua fresca

Soilman in England suggested I put it in Mussels à l'Italienne and even offered up his recipe: Chopped onions sweated in olive oil for a few minutes. Add a few glugs of white wine and lots of chopped tomatoes plus tomato purée. Pour your mussels (cleaned and de-bearded) in, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes. Put into bowls with lots of chopped purple basil."

Latest posts