Ducks4you for 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have a suitable south wall on a garage or other building, think about a lean-to greenhouse, Ducks'. Lowes and Home Depot sell lean-to greenhouses. BTW, they should be cheaper - whether they are or not, I don't know.

I have worked in a greenhouse range with 8 greenhouses (and more in later years). During 1979-80 when oil prices doubled, we did our best to insulate north walls. (Winter heat for these glass structures wasn't from oil but ... you know.)

When I built my first backyard greenhouse, it was against my garage. When I moved from that home, the greenhouse came with me but I didn't have a suitable south wall so I built one! That was it, just a wall - something had to hold up my lean-to. Well, it wasn't just a wall, it was an insulted wall. The lean-to was replaced with a larger structure but the wall is the same.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am finding portable greenhouses online and at Lowe's and Home Depot.
I found a site that brags about snowload, etc., even has a photo of many large adults sitting on top of it.
The $ commitment is probably not worth the $ return, Yet.
My biggest worry is our sometimes 60mph gusts that we get in the winter, spring and fall. like I said, if I put up a greenhouse I will Have to give it wind protection, or else my nice neighbors across the street will own a greenhouse.
DH is involved now in the search. Perhaps a portable greenhouse might be the best bet to start with, then double down on starting inside for 2024.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today's harvest after a night and morning of rain. A lot of it was pouring and drenching. Still, I harvested these beans and tomatoes. Those asparagus beans grow inches/day after they start. Amazing!

Attachments

• Harvest, 08-09-22.jpg
    Harvest, 08-09-22.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
This has 4 measy short anchors, but I could use my hole auger, dig down with my auger and sink down 4 posts (even 4 landscape timbers would do) kinda like this guy did, except NO cement:
7;00/10:13

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check this out--garlic OUT OF STOCK in August!
View attachment 51155
Garlic is generally pre-ordered earlier in the season; it is not unusual to see the more popular varieties go 'out of stock' as planting time (Sep-Oct) approaches. If there is a particular variety you are looking for & can't find a source, I might be able to help. (or send one of the 9 varieties that I grow)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This has 4 measy short anchors, but I could use my hole auger, dig down with my auger and sink down 4 posts (even 4 landscape timbers would do) kinda like this guy did, except NO cement:
7;00/10:13
That is the greenhouse I've used for about 10 years, with good results. The aluminum frame is surprisingly solid, and it has room (just barely) for 2 folding tables full of plants. The panels offer enough insulation for me to keep the temp 10 degrees F. above the outside temperature with a space heater & greenhouse thermostat.

My only problem with the kit is the spring clips used to secure the panels. They tend to pop out in strong winds, releasing a panel or two... and once blown out, the panels are usually weakened or destroyed. The spring clips which pop out can be hard to find, so if you buy that HF kit, I recommend ordering an extra bag of spring clips. I did, and only have a few extra clips remaining. The more clips you use per panel, the better.

After about 5 years, I had to replace the plastic panels. After searching for replacement material, I found it was cheaper to buy another greenhouse kit & cannibalize the panels, than it was to buy the material alone. :lol: To extend the life of the greenhouse, I recommend taking down the panels when the greenhouse is empty & storing them out of sunlight.

Latest posts