Dumping on Private Property

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's terrible, especially since you had to pay to have it removed. :(

They must just be lazy. Our garbage collection service will take big items if you call them ahead and they don't even charge extra for it. And there are always ads in the paper from people wanting to take old appliances and stuff to sell the scrap metal. Most anything we ever have set out on the curb for the garbage truck to take has been picked up by a passerby before the truck ever came (although I can't imagine what they'd want with it. :idunno) When the city has their big spring clean up, tons of people cruise the street looking for scrap lumber and old furniture and stuff to upcycle. I used to see a lot of places where people dumped things off of hillsides in the country, but really I don't come across that much anymore.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We also have seen things dumped around here. And our transfer station is FREE!!!!!!! I call them Idiots - they can't even bother to do the right thing cus they think that their actions are not to be accounted for. Idiots.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dump does charge a small fee. I think that if its woods, people think no one owns it, public land. I hate to tell you how many beer bottles and cans I have picked up. I guess if your going to drink WHILE driving you don't want the empties in car.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel for you, @Nyboy! We are situated one meal and drink away from McDonald's to the East and one meal and a drink away from McDonald's to the west. For years the roadside out front was strewn with Macky's trash. We are also on a direct road between the two communities. Beer and soda cans were an every weekend expectation.

Once I was able to get and keep the roadside mowed, it seemed that fewer and fewer people tossed their trash in the yard. Now it is the neighbor before or the neighbor after that gets the litter. My area stays pretty clean. Of course once the snow falls, all bets are off and the trash builds up again.

A nearby city changed trash pickup from taking anything to charging for 'bulky' items. Of course the country sides took a bit trash hit when that happened. I kept thinking we should tote all the appliances to the city supervisors' properties and leave them off.

Tires are always a problem. What is the charge to recycle them at the tire store?Something like $2.00 each. Still many people say they'll keep the used tires and drop them off in the country, but at least our pickup will take a few each month for free.

It is disheartening to have trash happen. I often wish I could go to their homes and leave litter like they do to mine.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dump does charge a small fee. I think that if its woods, people think no one owns it, public land. I hate to tell you how many beer bottles and cans I have picked up. I guess if your going to drink WHILE driving you don't want the empties in car.

I was driving behind a guy in a pickup early one Saturday AM, heading out of town. At one point he started throwing empty beer cans out of his cab one after another, probably about a dozen, then he pulled in his driveway. I guess he was getting rid of the evidence of an all-night party before he got home. :\

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Actually I don't think dumpers care who owns the property they dump on. Their prerequisites are probably more along the line of who can see them doing their dirty deed. If it's something they have to actually stop and get out to dump they would prefer a little more seclusion.
If they can just flip it out the window it doesn't matter.

When we first moved to this neighborhood I walked the dogs around "the loop" every day. I was impressed at the amount of beer cans alongside the entry stretch of road, off the paved county road. It seemed to me it was probably the same person, coming home and tossing the cans out in the brush. Always the same brand of beer, and almost all the same side of the road. I strapped a trash can on a handcart and took that with us a few times on our walk. Finally got them all picked up, but it wasn't long before I noticed them building up again.
No doubt the tosser passed me a few times and saw me collecting their trash. They didn't even skip a beat.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was driving behind a guy in a pickup early one Saturday AM, heading out of town. At one point he started throwing empty beer cans out of his cab one after another, probably about a dozen, then he pulled in his driveway. I guess he was getting rid of the evidence of an all-night party before he got home. :\
HA... knowing where he lived I might have been tempted to go back, pick up his cans and deposit them in his yard!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy I know on a small basis how angry finding others trash on your property can make you. We live next door to a tavern. Nearly every morning and always on weekends. We get up to find wrappers and cans in our hedge, even occasionally tossed over the back yard fence. Grrr. So sorry to hear you had to pay to get rid of it. Too bad they could not find evidence of who did the dumping and tag them with a fine and make them pay you back. Posting fake cameras and signs might work.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, would it help to put up a fence? It would make it a little harder to pull up in your woods to toss out garbage. We sold some land 3 miles from town recently and I regularly did the trash pick up. Beer bottles, cans, bags of trash, both on the side of the road and tossed over the fence, up in the woods.

There is a term for these kind of people;

THE FILTHY McNASTY FAMILY!!

Latest posts