Dusty Miller question

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have some dusty millers in a flower bed from last year.

Last winter, I didn't do anything to them and they were still alive this past spring, but they were really rough looking. For this winter, do I need to cut them to the ground? Or how do I get them to freshen up?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can trim them back, I'm not exactly sure how much though. We have some growing in the yard for a few years and we keep them around 2 feet. If you trim back just a little they tend to produce lots of new growth. I wouldn't cut them all the way to the ground though.

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
2 feet?! These are probably around 8" tall. I'll still cut them down for the winter. Thank you!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you don't mind how it looks during the winter, I'd wait til the end of winter to cut it back, so you can see what actually needs to be removed and what doesn't.

If you want to avoid having to look at its ugly collapsed rotting-looking self during the winter months, I'd suggest cutting it back to some good healthy-looking low buds right now or in a month or two, and let it get in some low-to-the-ground growth before winter. Some of that growth will have to be removed anyhow in the spring (these felty grey leaved plants just don't deal with damp winter conditions well) but it will be much less conspicuous til then, and the plant will be stronger and healthier than if you cut it waay to the ground just before winter begins.

Or, if you want it looking big and pretty as long as possible, wait til the first few hard frosts, and cut off the badly damaged top stuff, again trying to leave several ranks of good healthy buds (look where the leaves join the stem).

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts