Dutch Iris...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking of planting some dutch iris in a few weeks, do you think they will bloom this spring or summer if i do plant?

Thanks!!

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where I live, we plant it in the fall. You can buy transplants already or almost in bloom this time of year.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just checking, do you mean a) bearded iris, i.e. the most common type of iris; or b) the fairly early spring blooming, very short, types like I. reticulata; or c) I. xiphium and its hybrids?

a and c are summer-blooming and normally planted in late summer. With the bearded irises if you buy pot-grown plants now they *may* flower for you this year (or may not). I have never grown I. xiphium types but by reputation the bulbs (they are bulbous, not the normal rhizomes) are 'supposed to' be planted in fall.

b are early-spring blooming, planted in fall (but as I don't think they're available commercially this time of year, probably this is not what you're referring to)

Dunno whether an answer is contained anywhere in the above, or not :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Just checking, do you mean a) bearded iris, i.e. the most common type of iris; or b) the fairly early spring blooming, very short, types like I. reticulata; or c) I. xiphium and its hybrids?

a and c are summer-blooming and normally planted in late summer. With the bearded irises if you buy pot-grown plants now they *may* flower for you this year (or may not). I have never grown I. xiphium types but by reputation the bulbs (they are bulbous, not the normal rhizomes) are 'supposed to' be planted in fall.

b are early-spring blooming, planted in fall (but as I don't think they're available commercially this time of year, probably this is not what you're referring to)

Dunno whether an answer is contained anywhere in the above, or not :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
Hi,
i meant the spring blooming dutch iris with the grass-like foliage.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In that case, they are normally planted in fall; if you can get some potted- or dug-up ones they might flower poorly for you but honestly I'd just pinch off any buds that try to form to let them establish better, since it's not really the ideal time of year to move them.

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Someone recently send my Iris that have already sprouted (I'm not sure what kind) front the looks of an early spring move... I doubt they will bloom for me this year!

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have found a few times great deals at Lowes in the garden clearance section on spring flowers from bulbs. I often can get 3 bulbs in a gallon sized pot for about a $1. after the plants that don't sell stop flowering. They will have had good growth still, just no nice flowers anymore. I put them in the ground where I want them to come up the next year and wait for the foliage to die back on its own. I have got Dutch Iris and Asiatic Lilies this way really cheap.

If you don't have to have the flowers this year and don't have the plants/ bulbs already, it could be a good option and you get a lot more for the same amount of money.

100_2057.jpg
the last of my dutch iris flower for the year. This came out of one of those $1.00 pots 3 or 4 years ago.

3 of my bearded irises currently in bloom. These come from other gardeners. The yellow is a repeat bloomer throughout the year at weird times.
100_2043.jpg

100_2044.jpg

100_2045.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
is there any iris that will bloom after i plant, or do i just have to wait for next year?

Thanks!

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought a white bearded iris in a pot at a plant sale this morning. It is starting to flower. So, yes, you can find them in bloom, or soon to be, in pots, but if you buy unpotted bulbs or rhizomes chances are you won't get flowers this season.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardeNerd said:
I just bought a white bearded iris in a pot at a plant sale this morning. It is starting to flower. So, yes, you can find them in bloom, or soon to be, in pots, but if you buy unpotted bulbs or rhizomes chances are you won't get flowers this season.
oh ok, i may hve to look for irises in pots then. When you say that i may not get blooms this season if i plant unpotted rhizomes, does that mean i might not get blooms even summer or fall. I would think by fall the irises would be establised and well leafed out.

Latest posts