Dutch Iris...

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot of Bearded iris only bloom for a few weeks each year, and usually in the spring. Look for one with a stalk coming up if you want to be sure to get flowers this year when you are buying in pots. If you search around you may be able to find a repeat bloomer, but most don't repeat.

The yellow I had posted the pic of, blooms at irregular times with no consistency. It has had flowers always in spring, but it has also bloomed in fall and even at Christmas. It is always a surprise.

Here in SoCal we divide dense clumps in August and only when the clumps get too crowded. I don't always get flowers on each of the divisions the following spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
GardeNerd said:
I just bought a white bearded iris in a pot at a plant sale this morning. It is starting to flower. So, yes, you can find them in bloom, or soon to be, in pots, but if you buy unpotted bulbs or rhizomes chances are you won't get flowers this season.
oh ok, i may hve to look for irises in pots then. When you say that i may not get blooms this season if i plant unpotted rhizomes, does that mean i might not get blooms even summer or fall. I would think by fall the irises would be establised and well leafed out.
Its really late to plant the rhizomes. I was supposed to plant some in the fall to get blooms this year at all. I wasn't able to get a trade in time, but I'll take what I can get and I got mine for free so I can wait until next year for blooms.

Your best chance for blooms like GardeNerd said is for the potted ones that was ready for this season. I know those are going to be the priciest route.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh ok i guess then i'll plant some bare root rhizomes or bulbs in the fall for blooming next spring. But the only thing is that i did plant a few irises last fall in a trade and they dont seem like their are going to bloom. I will buy some in pots a few kinds would be nice. I really dont like to just buy it in pots that are ready to bloom in a week, i like planting the rhizomes/bulbs rather than already started plants and watching it grow then flowering, i'll have to wait for that then.

Thanks!!! ;)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have bearded and Japanise iris... I have moved both in summer after blooming in fall and in early spring and have never noticed blooming problems...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you are looking for summer blooming bulbs you can plant now, why not calla lilies or canna?!?! You can get those in to take up some space and they are very pretty and should come up this year.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
If you are looking for summer blooming bulbs you can plant now, why not calla lilies or canna?!?! You can get those in to take up some space and they are very pretty and should come up this year.
Dont get me wrong i will be planting summer bulbs like gladious, dahlias, lilies, and canna. I really like the form of the iris flower, you cant really compare it to another summer bloomer. I just found that American Meadows is selling potted bearded irises.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just suggested them in case you were waiting for bulbs in fall. Just wanted something that would hold you over and still give you some WOW NOW for your money. I put some calla's in already. Those should bloom, but I'm still not holding out for my transplanted iris's to come bloom.

If they do, I will come right back here with pictures and you can slack me and call me Sue!!!!

:gig

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I just suggested them in case you were waiting for bulbs in fall. Just wanted something that would hold you over and still give you some WOW NOW for your money. I put some calla's in already. Those should bloom, but I'm still not holding out for my transplanted iris's to come bloom.

If they do, I will come right back here with pictures and you can slack me and call me Sue!!!!

:gig
:lol: Yeah summer bulbs are beautiful if they only lasted longer, i havent ever planted callas before but from what i've seen they look pretty, what kind/color did you get?
I'm probably going to buy some potted iris to bloom in may, then have those summer blommers to enjoy come summer. I always try to have something blooming in the garden like once my tulips, daffs, hyacinths and other spring bloomers are done i should be planting other flowers. Which reminds me i will try to post pics of my spring flowers they are looking excellent :D

Latest posts