Dwarf Spicy Greek Basil.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
You do know that can is a distraction, right? The leaves look almost like purslane. Are they rubbery? It sure is small and doesn't look like one plant would be enough for general use.

Mary
Hi Mary ! Purslane ~ we call it Nana ~ cook it like spinach, with eggs, lemon one it ~ in salads ~ on and on ```

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jack, how big does your dwarf oregano get? Is it easy to start from seed?

I have a regular size oregano that gets huge. I'm always having to trim it back and it grows year round. It would be great if I could find smaller one.

Mary
Oregano can easily be started from seeds, though you can also use cuttings from an established plant. Plant the seeds/cuttings in well-drained soil anytime after the last spring frost. The soil should be around 70ºF. For thin plants, plant 8 to 10 inches apart. to make smaller ones plant them around 4 to 5 inches apart.

Reaction score
Hi, I have a oregano plant in a large wooden planter box, I planted it 2 years ago, but over the last few months it has virtually taken over the planter , I wanted to grow it for pollinators, I was told it was a good plant for the bees ,so I give it a try. But this manageable plant has spread, what shall I do. suggestions please,thanks

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. We like pictures.

I grow mine in the garden. Every spring I take a shovel and cut the edges back to the size I want and cut a chunk out of the middle and fill that with a compost/soil mixture. Oregano needs to be disciplined severely.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hi, I have a oregano plant in a large wooden planter box, I planted it 2 years ago, but over the last few months it has virtually taken over the planter , I wanted to grow it for pollinators, I was told it was a good plant for the bees ,so I give it a try. But this manageable plant has spread, what shall I do. suggestions please,thanks
:lol:
Grasshopper, you have just discovered that oregano is the weed of the herb world!!! NO THINNING NECESSARY!!
Fortunately, it pulls out and transplants easily. If it hasn't gone to seed, throw it in your compost pile, or even if it Has gone to seed. ANY smell nice plant is preferable to a hard to pull up weed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:lol:
Grasshopper, you have just discovered that oregano is the weed of the herb world!!! NO THINNING NECESSARY!!
Fortunately, it pulls out and transplants easily. If it hasn't gone to seed, throw it in your compost pile, or even if it Has gone to seed. ANY smell nice plant is preferable to a hard to pull up weed.
Hi Thank you for your good advice will let it flower this year then cutting back is the plan.:)

Reaction score
Btw, :welcome @Distillery Pad ! Don't be afraid to move the oregano and dump it someplace else. If you have 2020 plans for your window box, go ahead and transplant what you Want in it. Gardening is cool bc we are our Own bosses, and nobody cries when a plant dies, (unlike a kitten...)
Hi hows things with you , in these unusual times thanks for your info you have reassured me ,I think I was just afraid to cut in too deep on plants, trying to produce a cottage garden look this year for bees and wildlife Thanks again

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Distillery Pad, don't let the internet or well meaning friends frighten you OUT of gardening. Here's a story for you.
You have, I am sure Heard of the infamous "Master Gardener." There really are some here on this forum. I am NOT one of them.
There are others who use that moniker for pride. I was shopping at my favorite farm supply store that has a big garden center every year. I got to talking to a woman who was making a decision on Some plant, forgot which, and she was running herself down. She told me that her MIL was a "Master Gardener" and that her MIL spent $thousands every year on plants and supplies.
:gig
We don't talk about it much, but I believe than many of us strive to be somewhat self sufficient gardeners, some of us save seed, start plants indoors, store potatoes all winter, then replant next Spring--stuff like that.
Gardening is easy, but gardening is hard, too.
Best to just DO IT, and pleasure yourSELF.
You will find your way and your favorite plants, and your least favorite plants.
I study online, I watch gardening programs, and I have learned many, many things by doing so.
We are here to help, when we can, and here to cheer you on, or hug you when you fail. :hugs

Last edited:

Latest posts