Easter Dinner

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette I would be temped to try your lamb. Once when my sister and I where small my father was in charge of making us lunch, the man made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Problem was he used mint jelly then forced us to eat it all. Years later at Easter dinner the bowl of mint jelly ended up in front of me, I said move this before I vomit my sister said OMG mint jelly does the same to me.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For us we always get together with my dad's side of the family. There will be ham and jello eggs and lots of other good food. Often we have a couple friends come who can't make it home for Easter.

Part of it is also continuing to celebrate the favorite holiday of my late grandfather who left us with his baseball stadium in 2009.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@canesisters I feel for you. I spent almost every day and night at the hospital for a month with Daddy before he died. Make the crockpot your friend for holiday or Sunday dinners.

Now back on subject: I always make orange jello with grated carrots and no one besides me (I'm not crazy about it) really likes it. Grandmother always had this instead of cranberry sauce and I do make it in memorial for her. I always tell everyone about it and ask them to try a bite.

My children either never met Grandmother or were too young to remember her and Granddad (their great grandparents). I tell the kids what I'm sure is boring stories of them and Daddy but I know it's not the same.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@canesisters I feel for you. I spent almost every day and night at the hospital for a month with Daddy before he died. Make the crockpot your friend for holiday or Sunday dinners.

Now back on subject: I always make orange jello with grated carrots and no one besides me (I'm not crazy about it) really likes it. Grandmother always had this instead of cranberry sauce and I do make it in memorial for her. I always tell everyone about it and ask them to try a bite.

My children either never met Grandmother or were too young to remember her and Granddad (their great grandparents). I tell the kids what I'm sure is boring stories of them and Daddy but I know it's not the same.
I totally know what your talking about with the last part. I was in early elementary school when I lost my grandpa. My dad's step mom tries to tell us about our grandpa often too.
I feel for those who loose parents too early, on things like what you say. And just over all having them not present for those big moments.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandfather would try and tell me about the pub his father owned in yorkville section of NYC. I was never interested in it then, now how I wished I asked more questions would LOVE to know more about his part in NYC history.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandfather would try and tell me about the pub his father owned in yorkville section of NYC. I was never interested in it then, now how I wished I asked more questions would LOVE to know more about his part in NYC history.
So why not start the subject with your father on your weekly Sunday dinner ? He will recall memories and you will get to know your family's past.:old :pop

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oyster stew on Christmas eve was always a tradition for some reason? I HATE oysters. :sick

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've kind of swerved away from unloved holiday foods, but the mention of listening to the stories about grandparents hit home with me. I heard a lot of stories as I spent time with my parents in their last years, and I hope to be able to pass on some of the history to my kids and grandkids, but they are going to have to put down their "devices" long enough to realize I am talking to them. o_O
But on the bright side, I just spent a couple days with my little brother, who was born a month before I left home after high school. (so I never really got to spend much time with him...it was always with the whole family around, when the chance for a real conversation is slim) Anyway, it was an enjoyable time and I was able to tell him a few things he would never have known otherwise, about his infancy and our family.
Now, to food: the only traditional holiday food I can think of that I don't eat is candied sweet potatoes. Ick. Double sweet.

Latest posts