Easter Dinner

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother loved having family get together for a holiday meal. She was a great cook each holiday had a traditional meal. Easter was always lamb, with mint jelly, only holiday meal I didn't not like. I always found lamb to have a gamy taste, was told mutton worse. Is there a holiday food you hate, but always have on table

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to not feel guilty about not having anything this year.
My brother in law just got home from the hospital yesterday after having a heart attack & bypass surgery. Dad & I live 1.5hrs from the hospital and we're exhausted from driving back and forth every day. Often not getting home until 11:00 or later - and then up again for work (me, he's retired). I'm SOOO far behind on ALL of the Spring chores that I'm going to have to just let a few go. I'm planning to do some yard catch-up all day Saturday and then church on Easter Sunday. Then a little bit more Spring chores.... or maybe an all day nap.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, Irish dinner. Do not care for boiled cabbage.

Love lamb, HATE MUTTON. After eating, can't get the wool taste and feel out of my mouth....... place in Northern KY is world famous for their barbecued mutton. Was only Swallowable when hot, cooled beyond nasty.....

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love lamb, never had mutton. My dad wouldn't have lamb in our house as he grew up on mutton in England before he and my grandparents immigrated to Canada, he absolutely hated it, he likened it to eating mouthfuls of wool. The only time I had lamb is when I was invited to supper at my maternal grandparents, it was always leg of lamb, so good.

Lamb is really expensive here so only cook it on special occasions. I rarely cook a leg of lamb, usually cook a rack, or lamb chops that have been marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, diced onions and some oregano, a bit of salt and pepper and then thrown on the grill YUM. Of course it has to be accompanied with mint jelly :drool.

Annette

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
herb crusted rack of lamb, roasted new potatoes and freshly cut asparagus sauted in butter and garlic. but lass dw turned her nose up at it years ago.
so for Easter will be smoking 3 turkey breasts served with..okay basically thanksgiving style dinner, just scaled back a wee bit...

food lion had a sale on them so got 6 and over in the mangers section they had corn beef so picked up 3 nice looking 6 pounds. dang the freezer is full again....
love when the stores have specials....

yes @seedcorn i hate boiler cabbage prefer sauted in a little butter and picking spice.. till it still as a little snap to it...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try being married to a woman raised on boiled cabbage and thinks it's nectar from the gods....
:yuckyuck

well we see who truly runs the kitchen up your way.. yes boiled cabbage is the nectar of the gods to keep you regular and the sheets flapping in the middle of the night.:lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, Irish dinner. Do not care for boiled cabbage.

Love lamb, HATE MUTTON. After eating, can't get the wool taste and feel out of my mouth....... place in Northern KY is world famous for their barbecued mutton. Was only Swallowable when hot, cooled beyond nasty.....
You sound just like my father in law. The trick to prepare mutton that I used is when I butchered an old ewe, was to marinade it whole for a couple days in a 55 galon drum, then bbq it whole in a pit, then serve it HOT on a VERY HOT STEEL PLATE. My father in law would help himself to 3 servings. Beef is at it's very best served on a VERY HOT STEEL PLATE too ! :drool :drool

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

well we see who truly runs the kitchen up your way.. yes boiled cabbage is the nectar of the gods to keep you regular and the sheets flapping in the middle of the night.:lol:

Hey, what's wrong with boiled cabbage, especially served with a dab (BIG) of butter and a sprinkling of vinegar, or in a nutmeg cream sauce:drool, to each his own ;).

Annette

Latest posts