Easter Update: Ordered my orchard...

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Thanks, it's been a hard night. I actually really needed that...

You never know how even a little Internet icon can mean something to someone sometimes...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this. :(

Please know I have you in my prayers... and am sending good vibes as well. :hugs

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks.

I went to an event today where an organic grower had nursery stock. I caved and bought one more gooseberry. I know I can fit that in. The hard part will be fitting in the two fig trees. I'll manage, even if they go in the FRONT yard. I have yet to touch my front yard, mwahahaha....

I'm debating a couple of pawpaws for my front yard, but want to wait and think about it. Pawpaws would be less likely to be stolen. However, they have to be dealt with IMMEDIATELY when ripe which isn't great...

Maybe almonds would be better...

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tonight, got the six blueberry in & the two currants. Also, planted the two Carmine Jewel Cherry. I'm going to need tomato cages. Most of my tomato cages are protecting my new plantings, so that we don't run into them by accident!

Tomorrow, I'll plant that gooseberry.

Still waiting for my two goji berries. I have a place ready for one of them. I am also still waiting on the hazelnuts. A place is decided for those. I think I have figured out a place for the two fig trees. I'll have to figure out a new place for the lilac, but it's a dwarf and I think I know a place I can tuck it.

I also constructed a redneck planting area out of some tires tonight. I had four car tires in my basement that are pretty close to worn out. I put landscape cloth under them and filled them with soil. I'm not sure what I'll plant in them yet, but I'll figure something out!

aka Rachel

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Potatoes!

:lol: sorry, I know its not really in fitting with your lovely orchard you are setting up (u promised pics right?!) but I have potatoes on the brain, and that happens to be how i'm planting mine this year :)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL I thought of potatoes. However, potatoes are a low cost food for me to buy. Since my garden and yard isn't very big, I've been focusing on higher cost items. So, no potatoes and carrots are limited, too. I do plant onions because there is something about fresh onions that can't be matched.

Today:

Got the fourth gooseberry in the ground. It's a second Pixwell. Four gooseberries should give me enough for fresh use and a little to put away.

I also just finished ordering some blueberries to replace the CRAP plants that didn't come to life. No more of that Van Z something or another line EVER. (Walmart has them. I think either Lowes or Home Depot does, too.) I also ordered replacements for the two raspberries that didn't come to life (about half of those made it) and one from another place.

Interestingly enough, I've had almost 100% out of dormancy rate on plants from Baker Creek (all but one plant), 100% from Jungs, and so far 80%+ from Gurney's (waiting on the two apricots...not sure yet). I have no doubt that Gurney's will replace those, if I have problems. I had about 10% from Walmart's Van Z.... line. I have to find that receipt. I have about $60 worth to take back...

If I'd had problems with other lines, I'd think it was just me. However, since it is just this batch of stuff, I know it's not me.

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah! I found the missing receipt! Now, I should be able to get my money back. What a relief! It was in my spring jacket pocket. I found it there after tearing everything apart, dumping papers everywhere, etc. I still have mess to clean up from that and won't get to it for days...ah well@

The yard is gradually shaping up. We cleared another dirt pile from our digging last night. Two to go plus a couple of other areas to smooth out. (My son has been great help with digging but he slings dirt everywhere...or piles it into a mountain. It made a lot of cleanup work, to put it mildly. For some reason, one pile is sitting in front of my workshop, 20 feet from where he dug it, blocking access to the building. Teenagers...he must have carried every shovel of soil across that part of the yard, around a corner.)

Eventual projects:
1. Build new compost bins that KEEP THE DOGS OUT. Need I say that they have bad breath tonight? They were digging in the nasty side that we haven't turned yet this year. It's too wet & needs browns. Ewwwww. No dog kisses for me for a while!

2. Someday: that greenhouse cover for the pool. Probably not this year or next year.

3. Hydroponics setup for indoor lettuce, and eventually tomatoes and peppers. I've been gathering supplies to start this. I think I have most of what I need either here or ordered. I want this functioning by the end of May since lettuce doesn't last long in our summer heat!

4. Restake some of the trees (immediate project) as the stakes I used aren't working well for these small trees.

5. Expand garden beds later this year. I want to build another 4'x20' bed for next year, then another one or two down the road.

6. Build better tomato cages & trellises.

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OOOoooo. I love the idea of hydoponic lettuce in the house! The only way I could even attempt to grow it here in summer. Thanks for bringing that up girl!
Your plans will come together. We just have to do what you do...make a list and just keep slowly checking things off :)

Latest posts