Easy Winter Soups

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter-in-law just made the BEST potato soup. It's not on my food plan, but I had to taste it.

"They" say you really only enjoy the first and last bites of your food. THe first is fulfillment of anticipation and the last is one final savoring. I very properly took one tbsp of the soup and enjoyed both the first and last bite. Knowing I'd done no damage to my food plan, I went back to following the doctors orders.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red , potato soup :lovea good one, still looking for a good recipe, all the ones I've tried so far have been just so-so. Any chance of her recipe, I know, I beg a lot :hide, nothing shy about me, but nothing ventured nothing gained :).

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ingredients

potatoes,
celery root,
& leeks, close to equal parts of each
chicken stock sufficient to cover the vegetables plus a little more
heavy cream
Salt and pepper

1. Peel the potatoes and celery root. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
  2. Cut the leek into slices about ½ inch thick.
  3. In a large pan, mix the vegetables and cover with stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  4. Add cream
  5. Remove 1 cup to purée with a blender. Return to pot and add salt and pepper.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ingredients

potatoes,
celery root,
& leeks, close to equal parts of each
chicken stock sufficient to cover the vegetables plus a little more
heavy cream
Salt and pepper

1. Peel the potatoes and celery root. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
  2. Cut the leek into slices about ½ inch thick.
  3. In a large pan, mix the vegetables and cover with stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  4. Add cream
  5. Remove 1 cup to purée with a blender. Return to pot and add salt and pepper.

Sounds yummy :drool.

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up on potato soup and it's my favorite comfort food in the winter. My soup is similar to Steves, but no celery root, and I use a whole onion in the base then top the bowl with thin sliced green onions. Oh, and I also add a generous amount of sharp cheddar.

:\...Okay, I guess it's like Steve's because I use potatoes and broth...:rolleyes:

We like it with home made fry bread, some people call it bannock, my mom always called them scones, but that's misleading, so I just call it fry bread.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't think I could hack cold potato soup....or cold soup of any kind, for that matter. I've heard of it but just can't wrap my mind around it.

My favorite soup is chicken soup, but I have no recipe for it. I vary the contents as I see fit or according to what I have on hand. Utilizing my home canned chicken and stock, then adding celery, onions, kielbasa, our own canned sweet corn, rice, noodles, sometimes potatoes, garlic, other spices.

Also love potato soup...have been using this recipe the last couple of times with rave reviews, though I had to substitute the bacon with kielbasa: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13404/worlds-best-potato-soup/

Today was canning tomato soup and used this recipe...used it last year with GREAT results and LOVE the flavor: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/moms-best-tomato-soup-canning-recipe-44058