1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Flower Show
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Easy Winter Soups

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by Nyboy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Those 2 recipes look delicious, @Beekissed . Perhaps I see an orientation that my wife shares. I say that she makes soup that you can stand a spoon in, upright.

It makes me think more of a "vegetable dish" except for the meat ... does anyone make soup in the oven? I think I'd like to try that.

Can't "hack?" You aren't using that word in the 2017 sense ;). If I've got it right ... the addition of canned mushroom soup to the potatoes is a "hack." And, here's a cold soup/vegetable dish that might be okay: Gazpacho. I would prefer it hot but used to make it. The lateness of my ripe tomato season makes me much more inclined towards something hot, in a bowl ;).

My common hack, adding catchup to my tomato soup. I try to do that early in the process so no one notices ;). A 20-something might consider this a hack ... I can cook the pasta separately in chicken broth and add it to the tomato soup.

Steve

2. Oct 10, 2017
    w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch Deeply Rooted

I'm making a pot of pinto beans right now(aka 'Frijoles Borrachos'). While they always are good, they will be especially good today as a cold front blew in this morning... I'll throw in some homemade bacon, garden grown jalapenos & fresh cilantro later. Yummy!!!

Frijoles_Borrachos.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    canesisters, murphysranch and Nyboy like this.
  3. Oct 10, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Borsht (sp) is at it's BEST taste served cold ! :old

4. Oct 11, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

No, indeed! :D I'm using it in the sense that cold soup would likely make me gag unless I was starving, then I wouldn't care if it were cold, warm, hot or dehydrated and crunchy, then I'd eat it and relish every bite. But, my preferred temp for soup is smokin' hot.

"I couldn't hack that job." = " I couldn't handle that job." I guess it's some kind of regional slang, as I couldn't find our use of the word in any of the definitions given.

5. Oct 11, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Oh yes, @Beekissed .

I could see the Pacific ocean from my front yard in the 1960's and lived farther west than Silicon Valley ;). We used hack that way in the 1960's.

I made fish chowder with tilapia and 3 Viking Purple potatoes for lunch, yesterday. (That variety has a snowy white interior and only purple skin.)

Garlic diced, half a Walla Walla sweet onion chopped sauteed in butter. Add chopped potatoes. Salt, freshly ground black pepper, a couple dashes of Maggi sauce. Add 2 chopped fish fillets cooking until potatoes are tender. Drain off some of the water and replace with a cup of milk, simmer. Add about a half cup of sour cream, heat and serve.

:) Steve

6. Oct 11, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

No soup recipes here: I Tried 8 Miracle Flavor Hacks To Upgrade My Favorite Foods.

I didn't see any miracles here either but I think she was using the phrase "far out" as we once did ...

Yes, a little mustard added to cheese makes for a more interesting sauce, Mac and cheese or that sort of casserole. Grill sandwiches in mayo? I would never have thought of that! Will Americans please stop using American cheese for anything! I can't stand it and don't care what they call it!

Baking soda in the spaghetti cooking water? I might like the effect. But, then applesauce in the meatballs. Hey! Might be a fix for DW always overcooking any meat ...

! Steve
    grilled cheese san with his tomato soup, today!

7. Oct 11, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I've been going through a whole bunch of Cooking Light magazines (that I got free :)) and pulling out recipes that I would like to make. So today I'm making a beef and barley stew. Well it's not quite a soup but I've been wanting to eat a greater variety of grains and decided to try this one. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Mary

murphysranch likes this.
  8. Oct 11, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Mary i had that for lunch today, cafe in town list it as soup.

9. Oct 13, 2017
    w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch Deeply Rooted

After eating off the pot roast, I like to turn the remains into beef/barley/vegetable soup. Home-grown kohlrabi, potatoes, corn, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, okra, onions... even the bay leaves were grown here!!!

BeefBarleyVegetableSoup.jpg

Another of my favorites is plain old Navy bean soup w/wild hog & diced onions. The only seasoning is just a few bay leaves and S&P... We also add some hot mustard at the table. This is also very good!!!

Northern_Bean_Soup.jpg

baymule, pjn, aftermidnight and 3 others like this.
  10. Oct 13, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Happy to report that the kids loved my beef and barley stew. I thought I might have added a little too much pepper and was spicy but no one complained. I also liked that it was thick so they could easily eat it without spilling even my 2 yr. olds. Served it with homemade biscuits. It really is not that expensive to feed my kids well. :)

Mary