Reaction score
Ingredients

potatoes,
celery root,
& leeks, close to equal parts of each
chicken stock sufficient to cover the vegetables plus a little more
heavy cream
Salt and pepper

1. Peel the potatoes and celery root. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
  2. Cut the leek into slices about ½ inch thick.
  3. In a large pan, mix the vegetables and cover with stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  4. Add cream
  5. Remove 1 cup to purée with a blender. Return to pot and add salt and pepper.
Would I be able to substitute rutabaga for the celery root? None of the stores here seem to have it in stock but I’ve gotten everything else.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ChickenMomma91 ..

. I probably haven't eaten a rutabaga since Noah was in the Whale.

You could give it a try and tell us if it was good ;).

Steve
Noah in the whale? How about Noah in the ark and Jonah in the whale? (Actually "big fish" as I don't think whales are overly common in the Mediterranean Sea.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soups are easy with whatever you have on hand. I got 6 pumpkins from Halloween and am making pumpkin and home grown chicken soup.
Cook slow. I get the chicken cooking in a bit of oil or lard. Add carrots and onions so it doesn't dry. After the skin is done add pumpkin to fill the pot. 2-4 cups and let than cook down. The pumpkin shrinks by half its volume. Add as much water as you want, a little for a thicker goodness or more water for something to dip your bread in.
Today I added mushrooms, bell pepper, salt & pepper, 2 homegrown jalapenos, basil and rosemary (herbs from garden) and let that cook until the mushrooms were just right. I call it chicken soup but would also call it a chicken pot roast since I didn't cover it with water. Enough water for goodness.

I think leeks would work in this too for a mellow addition.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh my! @Nyboy...

when i cook for myself where i can use spices and meats i'll go for a Thai style dish which is simple to make,

coconut milk, soy milk mix in about equal parts or to taste or leave one or the other out. it's a wing-it kind of recipe anyways. :)

fry onions, some until carmelized, some not so much so they still have a bit of crunch, and i also dice some and leave them fresh until the end along with some green onion if i have it.

meat is any good sliced steak, browned. i usually use 2-3lbs per batch.

spices, i use a curry blend you can find at most chinese or asian food stores.

it takes about 20 minutes to put together and i can eat it all week. for about $10-15...

my other more expensive dish is lamb stew, which is of course lamb, which i have to trim pretty well, i don't like it strong flavored, browned, then some onion in there to fry. cabbage on top to steam, spices i usually keep it simple to the traditional greek style spices (garlic, rosemary, etc.) i sometimes go light on basil because i like the mint notes it gives.

once i'm happy with the basic sauce then i dice up a head of cabbage and put it on top to steam while the soup bubbles on a low simmer. when i could eat tomatoes i would put some tomatoes in, but only a little to give it some umami/color.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you "Thai" or just discovered and like the taste and texture```

no, i'm half italian, the rest is english and scots, no idea about last quarter, Mom's mom was not a part of her life.

i just consider myself USoAian :)

since i went away to college i started picking up other cuisines besides italian/american... my sister lives out west so i picked up mexican/new-mexican, have also studied indian, chinese and med styles.

i don't cook much now though. i miss it. i rarely if ever write down recipes and often don't cook the same dish the same way. i like to try different things.

my weakest cooking skills are in bread baking. i did have a used bread machine for a year and enjoyed using that to make all sorts of breads, but i never much got into kneading and proofing and such so eventually i'll have to brush up on that and probably some pastry things too...

now without being able to do tomatoes i'm forcing Mom to work out new variations and that is fun too, but at times she forgets and i have to make some toast or something instead. :) it's all good.

i wish i could stand at a counter and cook all day or make candies. my body can't tolerate that though. no candy shop, bakery, coffee shop, small rest. for me...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's soup~ moma use to make~ Monta soup~ small pieces of spiced meat~ the size of large peas about~ twisted in almost a bread dough~ put into a madzoon ( yogurt) soup~ garlic and some large leaf parsley~ not a lot~ just enough``` I think I could make it~ never have but```

yum sounds delicious, i love that style of dumplings. :)

Latest posts