Easy Winter Soups

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is an easy recipe, Nyboy ... buy a package of chicken thighs and an 18.2 oz can of Progresso Traditional New England Clam Chowder. First thing in the morning... Into a crockpot add the Clam Chowder, add 1/2 can ( from that chowder ) of water . Place the chicken thighs ( not frozen) into the crockpot, set on low for a slow simmer all day. Enjoy for dinner with eather instant mashed potatoes or rice or toast smothered with the clam chowder as gravy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 2 slow cookers not counting the little ceramic job with the missing glass lid that I have had since "rural electrification" passed ;).

I really should use them for cooking broth, although with only 2 people in the house, that little one might make more sense. Still, my policy is that no bones go outta this house, unboiled!

The bottled Heinz gravy was first noticed several years ago. Never bought any. Now Cambell's and Libby's has canned gravy. Mushroom soup is not an infrequent ingredient around here but I think I can resist buying gravy ...

I need to get back to my experiments with the addition of various starches. Nonstick skillets don't lend themselves well to making a roux. I drifted towards some different starches when DD decided she shouldn't be eating gluten ... that thinking didn't last long but it provided motivation.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, just last night I was removing the meat from a roasted chicken I had bought at the deli. I wondered if anyone made broth using those. I suppose you do? Maybe next time, I won't throw the carcass away. :hide

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW likes to get those deli chickens, now and then. Summer: sandwiches, stir-fry, noodles ...

You bet, I boil those bones.

A496DC42-62FA-4C76-AD65-86579FBF2916.png

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It varies, Mary.

Always onions and usually celery, often a garlic or 2 ...

Thyme goes well with chicken ... but, I'm just making broth and the additions can come later. When I was a kid, Mom would sometimes give us hot beef broth to drink. That wasn't a bad idea.

Steve :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Google Doodle today is a 3-D cartoon with the characters making Pad Thai ...?

It isn't a soup but it's fun watching how the images come together :).

You can get a recipe in Google search a the end but if it's for what I've had in a Thai restaurant, I don't much care. I'm always looking for ways to eat more fruits and veggies. Pad Thai seems like a way to eat more starchy noodles.

no, i rarely make noodles or rice these days. with all the other carbs i tend to eat when i cook for myself it is usually meat and veggies.

Latest posts