"EAT TOUR GREENS /&, or BEANS UP" ~ plus other veggies!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow "EAT YOUR GREENS UP !!" -- That's what I was constantly told as a child! :D
I was a good, obedient child so I did & I loved them -- my younger brother hated them & would howl when he saw them. So I as a loving big sister ate his share too......!! He still emails me as"Big Sister"!!! :old :love

I wonder if he would have eaten this great Italian recipe for twice-cooked turnip greens -- it says in the blog that children love it...?

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2007/03/market-leftovers-turnip-greens.html

This is a GREAT food blog -- one that I often go to for inspiration! :bow

As you know by now I love Italian country cooking & their love & care for seasonal food -- their ability to turn each meal into a celebration amazes & delights me! :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting link. I strip the greens from the tougher stalks on greens such as kale and discard the stems to my compost pile, then saute the garlic and often onion, then wilt the greens before steaming. I can see that boiling the stems, or the whole leaf like here before shredding, could make the stems edible. I may try it just to see what it does to texture as much as flavor.

What really caught my eye was adding anchovies for flavor. I think I'd really like that.

Thanks.:clap

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
very nice blog thanks for sharing! I think every meal should be a celebration in life ..we are so fortunate to have such wonderful food why not take a moment and really appreciate it :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a pile of bok choy greens in the kitchen right now, waiting to be turned into a stir-fry :cool:!

I was fairly good at eating my greens as a kid but it may have led to some dislikes . . . I don't care about chard but enjoy its close relatives, beet greens and perpetual spinach. And, American-type mustards - well, include me out.

I've got a ton of Asian greens in my garden!! Wonderful, wonderful stuff! If you enjoy the greens in a Chinese restaurant of turnip greens from your garden - bok choy and a number of others are in the turnip family but baby bok choy is oh, so mild and tender!

I get seed from Fedco, Kitazawa, and Evergreen every year for this green feast! Some "finds" this year are Yu Choy (Choy Sum) and South Seas Cabbage. Also, I enjoy Maruba Santoh, Fun Jen and Senposai, and others.

Use these greens from the tiniest "thinnings" all the way until you are harvesting the flower buds!

I eat so many greens this time of year, DW tells me that I'm turning green.

Steve
greenman.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi :frow

Steve, I love your "GREEN MAN" ! Have you ever seen the one from (I think?) Lincoln Cathedral's Door. I think it's 13th or 14th Century. The old religions still had their hold....! They are also on roof bosses all over the UK.

I agree about how great the oriental greens are -- I posted a on a topic about onions & my buying a wonderful Vietnamese onion hoe there! I have sown a few of them already -- in a shaded bed but I will put a lot more in come Fall

Hope you are having a great weekend. :rainbow-sun

PS. my Stevia seedlings are already showing -- cant believe it after 3.5 days. All thanks to you, Nicky's, & Aspirin ------ But that is all on the "Stevia" post. I'm so thrilled! :celebrate

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that green man looks a lot like my husband's tattoo!

I am contemplating my winter greens now and trying to figure out how to plant them so I can eat them in Feb and March

mostly we eat them fresh but do you guys make kimchi with your greens? it is one of the few ways I love to preserve them

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

Here's another quick, & tasty recipe! Although it is for kale I use it for Swiss Chard -- especially in the summer!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sauteed_kale_with_smoked_paprika/

I had to get my smoked paprika powder on line but you maybe able to get it at the supermarket. It usually comes in a little, very decorative tin, from Hungary or Spain. They do 2 kinds, smoked & sweet! Warning: these tins are very difficult to open..............!! So don't leave it till the last minute -- the last one took me 20 minutes & a broken fingernail................................ !! :barnie

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have just found what looks to be the most delicious recipe for Braised Savoy Cabbage. It is my favourite winter cabbage ,& I grow a lot of it, so it is great to find another way of preparing it:-

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2008/11/out-of-love.html

Orangette's blog is the most wonderful food blog -- a constant source of great ideas. She's TOPS! :bow

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think they "say kids love it..." so you'll pay attention and/or open your wallet!

Everyone knows that kids really don't, although there are rare exceptions. ;)

Latest posts