"EAT TOUR GREENS /&, or BEANS UP" ~ plus other veggies!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a cole slaw person altho' there is one restaurant where I always enjoy their coleslaw. I think it must be the quality of the mayo and cabbage that they use that makes it good. I mean, what else is there?

"Railroad Slaw" - I had to do a search. Here's a recipe at Cook.com. Maybe this is what Davaroo is talking about . . .

Doesn't it look like the ingredients for making mayonnaise but without the eggs or the beating . . ? Or, maybe I just have mayo on the mind.
:hu

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

Now here is a real curiosity -- one I will certainly try -- Radish Leaf Pesto...! I've cooked the leaves & I've used them in salads but I have to admit I'd never had thought of using them in pesto:-

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/05/radish_leaf_pesto.php

I sowed lots of radishes amongst the blocks of my corn so I will have stacks of leaves.....!! :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I'm not much of a cole slaw person altho' there is one restaurant where I always enjoy their coleslaw. I think it must be the quality of the mayo and cabbage that they use that makes it good. I mean, what else is there?

"Railroad Slaw" - I had to do a search. Here's a recipe at Cook.com. Maybe this is what Davaroo is talking about . . .

Doesn't it look like the ingredients for making mayonnaise but without the eggs or the beating . . ? Or, maybe I just have mayo on the mind.
:hu

Steve
That's it Steve. My mom used to make it often. I never really knew what the name meant until she told me the reason behind it.

She learned how to make it from her aunt, who's husband was a railroad man. Back in the Depression that was a good job, riding the rails and criss-crossing the nation on the Soo Line.

But it meant he was away from home for days. It also meant that these men, who lived in the caboose car, had to bring their own larder of food with them. This was before refrigeration was commonplace, and the guys might have only a small ice box to keep their food in (a REAL ice box, by the way, as in one that uses a block of ice).

So, whatever food their their wives packed for them had to keep without the aid of much refrigeration. Since railroad slaw is basically a vinegar pickle, it can keep for days if covered, and not spoil.

"Well, what about the guys who had no wives?" I asked her once.
"Oh, those fella's would chip in a share of money and the wives of the married men would buy and prepare food for them. It's how we did things back in those day...."

This usally sparked a brisk discussion about life in the good old days and how it was better, etc.... Mom was a hoot.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:

Now here is a real curiosity -- one I will certainly try -- Radish Leaf Pesto...! I've cooked the leaves & I've used them in salads but I have to admit I'd never had thought of using them in pesto:-

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/05/radish_leaf_pesto.php

I sowed lots of radishes amongst the blocks of my corn so I will have stacks of leaves.....!! :happy_flower

And yet again, Hattie, you come up with a winner!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radish Leaf Pesto - that person is a good and knowledgeable cook. But, I'm still "coming to terms" with the idea of pesto made from something other than basil.

I have a radish variety that has "hairless" leaves. This isn't anything too special since I understand that many varieties of daikon have smooth leaves.

This is a white radish but it is round rather than elongated. I can use the whole thing in a stir-fry but, really, the roughness of the leaves mostly disappear with cooking for any radish.

The author makes an excellent point on checking for freshness by looking at the foliage. I think we often are just looking for blemishes on what we eat - foliage is an important indication of freshness at the supermarket. Another indication is any cut part of a veggie - fresh spinach, check where it was cut from the root, for example.

Blemishes may just be an indication that there was less insecticide sprayed on the vegetable.

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi! :frow

I think we gardeners often have only a couple of courgettes, squash, tomatoes, a bit of chard or spinach & we want to celebrate the beginning of our harvest! This always happens to me at the beginning of summer. I have found the ideal recipe -- "Vegetable Cutlets":-

http://italianfood.about.com/library/rec/nr0576.htm

I think they would be great on their own, or with a salsa or a dipping sauce. For those who no meal is complete without meat they would be great alongside -- so they are a perfect family solution.

I hope you enjoy them! :frow

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi again! :frow

I have a folder on my laptop called RECIPES / Light & tempting*** This is one of them in there. You have to scroll down past the description of the sleepover to this breakfast dish which you can prepare the day before!! Very useful after a late night spent gossiping. ;)

Actually I would be very happy to eat this any time of the day! :lol: i think it would be great to have ready to bake when you come in from a few hours in the garden!

http://athinkingstomach.blogspot.com/2009/03/slumber-party.html

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I know a lot of us are picking peas at the moment (or have already frozen them). Here is a great quick dish for busy weekdays when you can't wait around. It's a fritatta with mint & peas (you could always add chopped pieces of ham for DHs) :lol: :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/peaandmintfritatta_11234.shtml

****** Remember it's UK measurements....!!******

With a nice hunk of good bread it would be delicious!

Latest posts