Edible landscaping

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a blank slate, a large area around our new porch to landscape and plant. Hubby will not interfere for the most part. I would like to plant as many edible things as possible. I'm starting with a couple of dwarf blueberry bushes. I'm not sure if they'll succeed or not, but what else can I plant and eat? I thought about having an herb section. I also have a big veggie garden, so this would be sort of supplemental. Any thoughts on attractive and edible plants?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Herbs are wonderful--I go outside in the snow to MY herb garden to pick sage leaves for chicken or turkey dishes. I expanded a little plot ten years ago that had a bush in it to an herb garden with common sage, Russian sage, chives, borage, oregano, dill, bee balm, white lillies, malva, sweet peas, basil and thyme. Funny about the bee balm--it hasn't spread beyond the borders of the garden. I laid down bricks at ground level so that I could run the wheels of my push mower over them. But it keeps re-seeding itself every year anyway.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow ... Blueberries are a great choice. I have had some trouble adjusting the pH to get good production but my bushes look good.

I like the Nanking Bush Cherry ... very nice blooms in spring and the bush has a nice appearance all season.
Mildly tart small cherries... birds and chipmunks love them also :rolleyes:

The Highbush Cranberry - Virburnum trilobum - gets a bit large but they are beautiful! Mine grew fast, blooms by the second year.
They are not a true cranberry but taste very similar .. and wonderful fall leaf color!

This one looks interesting ... Ben Lear Cranberry ... if you can grow it....?

Another one I've been meaning to check out is the Juneberry ...

I think Rhubarb is attractive :) ... and Garlic Chive blooms.
Hyssop officinalis has been winter hardy for me for several years although I usually see it rated zone 6 or 7. Long blooming nice little bush.

How about a pole or trellis for some climbing Red Malabar Spinach or Scarlet Runner Beans...

Sweet pickle peppers are fun, or many of the ornamental peppers are edible and attractive, but some can get REAL hot.

Great idea to have a munching garden just outside the door ... very fun! Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I suppose the following may vary according to where you're living, but:

this "use fruit bushes as edible landscaping!" trend leaves me somewhat mystified as to how people are supposed to actually HARVEST most of those berries and cherries and all, rather than just feeding the local bird population. Particularly for things that do not ripen all at once (e.g. saskatoons, blueberries) but even for things that do (cherries).

Where I live now, and anywhere I've lived in the past, if there is a vast fruit crop you can get *some* of it if you are lucky and swift; but the birds get the majority, or nearly all of it for things that don't ripen all at once, unless you put netting etc over the bushes. Which is practical if your fruit bushes are off in their own area, but not if they are beautifully landscaped into mixed perennial beds.

Just sayin',

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you would like to have something growing up the railings etc, it might be fun to plant both peas and beans. Pretty flowers and edible...I am a big fan of vine plants, climbing all about...I love using wild strawberries as ground cover. You can certainly eat them, if you keep a watch on them. Do you have enough space to plant a dwarf fruit tree? There are lots of fun choices- I am sure you will enjoy your new garden space. 18 days till spring!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I suppose the following may vary according to where you're living, but:

this "use fruit bushes as edible landscaping!" trend leaves me somewhat mystified as to how people are supposed to actually HARVEST most of those berries and cherries and all, rather than just feeding the local bird population. Particularly for things that do not ripen all at once (e.g. saskatoons, blueberries) but even for things that do (cherries).

Where I live now, and anywhere I've lived in the past, if there is a vast fruit crop you can get *some* of it if you are lucky and swift; but the birds get the majority, or nearly all of it for things that don't ripen all at once, unless you put netting etc over the bushes. Which is practical if your fruit bushes are off in their own area, but not if they are beautifully landscaped into mixed perennial beds.

Just sayin',

Pat
I have to agree with her on the fact the birds are going to get EVERYTHING they can. You will think the day it is ripe you will get to it first, but I doubt it.... the birds are quick and they know! I have to suggest using netting... I've bought some for our trees already. We haven't gotten a fruit yet, but when we do I'll be ready. We also keep all that at the back of the property not the front so no one notices.

For the front, we're planting tomatoes, bok choy, green beans on bamboo tee pees, squash, thai chilies and much more. I'm mingling in annual flowers so there are blooms mixed in from spring to fall. Things compatible with the plants, like marigolds, petunias and calendula.

I also have perennials mixed in from the years past. Keeps everything looking full, no one may notice the edibles right away.

As for fruit trees that will work without taking up much space, may I suggest trying this technique: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier it can be creative, space saving and gorgeous!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you find netting unattractive or not..:)
If one would find it necessary to use, it would be needed for a short period out of the season.

Much of what I plant I do so knowing that I will be sharing with the wildlife. I pick relatively often and we seem to get our fair share.
Birds that like berries also tend to enjoy a lot of bugs in my gardens throughout the season. I have NO bug pest problems ... well, except mosquitoes :/ ... but I wish the birds would eat gophers ... :lol:

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think Rainbow Swiss Chard is pretty enough to be in a garden. The colors are outstanding and it is really hardy. Mine lasted through the whole summer and even into the late fall, but we had a very mild summer this year so if it gets hot it may wilt on you.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do something similar to what Vfem mentioned.

On the front side of the house (since I'm not allowed to excavate the cottage garden up front :barnie ) I plant tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, a border of carrots and radishes, parsley and mix that in with some annuals here and there.

I've never landscaped with berry bushes or fruit trees really so don't have any advice there. IMHO, if they work for you and it's not causing too much work or stress then go with it.

Latest posts