Eggplant bounty

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our freezer is full of eggplant parm, we have jars and jars of marinated eggplant. We have had breaded eggplant sandwiches for lunch several times a week. The mailman will be furious if I leave more eggplant in the mailbox and still they keep coming. I picked these this morning and I will be hiding when Theresa comes home from shopping so I don't have to face her. The only good thing about them is that it does not take long to fill the basket, and there are many more on the plants.

eggplant bounty.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggplant is the one vegetable I can't even bring myself to try. When I was a kid one of my friends farted, took a big wiff, and said "Mm! Smells like eggplant!" :sick I just haven't been able to make myself even get one to try since then.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find that taking part of my surplus to a place that helps the needy with groceries makes letting it go -- not letting guilt have me spending more time working with it in the kitchen -- easier on the conscience and more worthwhile.

Tuesday mornings I spend taking people shopping through our local center.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a local food bank where we take surplus fruits and veggies from our gardens. Do you have anything like that close by?

I love eggplant, especially in asian dishes.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a local food bank where we take surplus fruits and veggies from our gardens. Do you have anything like that close by?

I love eggplant, especially in asian dishes.

Mary
We have a few pantries in the area but mostly they take canned goods and unopened dry food products and they open one-day per week. We had a replacement mailman and I forced three eggplants on him along with several cucumbers. Next, I am tracking down a lady who walks her dog past the house late in the afternoon. And, I have Theresa looking for recipes for Asian eggplant dishes. We did Indian a few days ago, but it was a little spicy for us. I have received orders from headquarters not to plant so many eggplants next year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you in an area where you can put them out with a free sign?

Mary
That would definitely work, but I would prefer to choose who got them. Theresa went to a Farmer's market at the local Agway last Sunday and said they had a few small eggplant and that they were expensive. When I told the mailmain to take as many as he wanted he kept saying: "are you serious?" He was a nice young man so I felt good about his getting them. He hesitated to take even one at first.

Last edited:

Latest posts