Eggplant bounty

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago we were guests at a wedding reception at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga Springs where they have a world famous chef. The couple told them that my son, who was the best man, and his dad were vegetarians and would need a vegeatrian dish. When dinner was served we had an absolutly delicious dish prepared of eggplant. I only wish I knew how he prepared it but I do remember is contained anise. The point being that the humble eggplant can be turned into a great meal, if you know how to use it.

gp.JPG

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made fresh tomato sauce for pizza. Put pieces of eggplant in it. Discovered a great thickener. Now I'm going to can some sauce with eggplant in it. Too great things-use of eggplants and thicker sauce.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
What the heck. Take a bite! It is soooo good in everything. I even throw bits into soups. The best I ever had was in an Italian restaurant. They were sliced lengthwise and rolled with cheeses and red sauce.

What does it taste like? Not farts, I presume.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made fresh tomato sauce for pizza. Put pieces of eggplant in it. Discovered a great thickener. Now I'm going to can some sauce with eggplant in it. Too great things-use of eggplants and thicker sauce.
Well, we never have an eggplant bounty; the plants are too small to be very productive ... and, I never have come up with very many uses. However, the first eggplant harvest is coming in.

@AMKuska , eggplant could have been called breadplant to my way of thinking. It doesn't carry much flavor unless the eggplant has absorbed it from something else. It performs that role very well.

Today, I ran with Seed's idea. I made pasta sauce with eggplant.

Only now, are there enough large tomatoes that they are at risk of getting ahead of our fresh use for them. There were 4 large tomatoes and I used 1 small(er) eggplant. Not much sauce but enuf for 2 people.

I should not have ventured to use another new ingredient in the sauce but I have been wanting to try sweetening it. So ... I put in about 2 teaspoons of a honey barbecue sauce ...

But, it was good! Now, I don't know what made the difference ... Bacon isn't real common in my pasta sauce either but I definitely added a smoky flavor to that sauce this time. But, it was good!

Steve :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I puréed the eggplant in the tomato sauce. Didn't leave chunks.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moroccan Stew. Anyone had it? Did you like it? Had a friend send me recipe. Said they liked it.

Latest posts