Eggplant

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BetterHensandGardens said:
We grow eggplant just so we can make Moussaka (recipe here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/08/18/moussaka/
Although not the simplest recipe to make, it tastes wonderful, and I freeze individual portions so we can pull them out and feast on this all winter long - love it.
Now that's what I'm talking about. This recipe is perfect for those extra eggplants. Thanks BetterHensandGardens!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
wsmoak said:
Well, sure, pretty much anything is going to taste good if you *fry* it and then cover it with cheese!

-Wendy
Well now wait just a cotton-picking minute, Wendy!

That recipe calls for baking the eggplant, then covering it with cheese/sauce, then putting it all back in the oven.
Ha! I only read as far as, "It consists of thick slices of breaded eggplant that are fried in olive oil until golden then layered with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil and baked until bubbly."

-Wendy

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted my eggplant seeds 2 weeks ago. Nuthin'

I know they are hard to germinate, so maybe I'll replant them again. But the 100 degrees sure hit my garden hard - 2.5 days of it. Deep watering and some shade cloth, and still had a little damage. Weird weather - from early spring to hard summer within a week.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started my eggplants in the greenhouse a little late this year - about 3rd week of March.

The plants went into 4" pots and were looking fine until I put them out in the garden just after the 1st of this month. They aren't very happy out there in the wind, etc. etc.

It was 85 yesterday, the warmest for the year. Now, mid-morning, it's back to 54, showers and wind gusts above 20mph :rolleyes:. Not good weather for eggplants.

I understand that eggplants do well in containers. May try that next year . . .

Steve

Latest posts