eggs as fertalizer?????

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
dig small hole, put in bottom, break it, cover. but for the life of me, why not eat it or feed it to the dog or cat or worms or ...

i'm sorry to say that Mom will not save egg shells for me, i think they do rather well in the worm bins after i've crushed them a bit. she just doesn't like to deal with them and throws them away. i keep any from boiled eggs or if i cook. i just put them in some water for a while and then rinse them off so they don't stink as they dry. after they are dry i crush them with a flat ended stick i picked up in the hills of TN when i was down there.
I keep a bowl in an out of the way place on my kitchen counter.When it is fun I microwave them along with a cup of water/ vinegar. That keeps them from smelling up the kitchen. The crack in tiny pieces without an egg flavor. I do not want to encourage the chickens to eat eggs.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
On folks ranch the irrigation traveled round the ranch ~ a smaller branch went through the fenced area ~ where the chickens, ducks, rabbits lived ~ it ~ the water was in a smallish ( 14" metal culvert ~into an
open 3' trench ~ to an 14" wooden boxed tube ''' The duck liked to lay a clutch in the open end of the metal ``` I reached in on day to collect eggs ~ one very ripe duck egg ~ exploded ``` Memory carries no smell ~ but ~ it was the most wretched stench ~ I can't describe ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i once made the mistake of microwaving eggs in a pan of water. i took them out of the microwave, ran cold water over them for a little bit and then reached into the pan and lifted out an egg. it exploded and i had scalding egg stuck to my hand/shirt and in a line around the room it stuck to the walls at that same height. what a mess to clean up. stench of burned egg. not a good day...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had egg on your face ~ did ya ```

no i didn't, i was lucky because it burned/blistered my hand and chest where it stuck to me. if you've ever taken a wet rag and flung it around and seen that line on the wall that is how it was around the entire room. this line of stuck/burnt egg on the wall. nobody else was there so i wasn't embarrassed, but it was a lot of work to clean up.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2 dozen eggs that are old enough that I'm wary of eating them. Cracked one to make an egg sandwich a couple days ago and water dribbled out along with a nasty smell. Didn't bother to even open it up all the way - straight to the trash can.
I might take the blender out on the porch and whip up the eggs and a bit of old milk - add to water and spray over garden.

:-( no more fresh milk - Eva is dry and - hopefully - pregnant.

Latest posts