El nino, weird or what?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy weather here on the East Cost of IA. I went Christmas shopping with a turtle neck and light sweater. No jacket. Got so warm in the van I turned on the AC !!! The grass is green The columbine and sweet peas are still green. The dead nettle is lush and BLOOMING! (I should get pics.) We had one heck of a thunderstorm last night. Do not know how much rain as the rain gauge was put away for the season. Extended forecast shows only rain and mid-forties through the 1st of the year. This coming Fri. and Sat. show below freezing temps but dry. Then another warm up. Oh Well we may pay for it in January! But I hope not.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy weather here on the East Coast of IA. I went Christmas shopping with a turtle neck and light sweater. No jacket. Got so warm in the van I turned on the AC !!! The grass is green The columbine and sweet peas are still green. The dead nettle is lush and BLOOMING! (I should get pics.) We had one heck of a thunderstorm last night. Do not know how much rain as the rain gauge was put away for the season. Extended forecast shows only rain and mid-forties through the 1st of the year. This coming Fri. and Sat. show below freezing temps but dry. Then another warm up. Oh Well we may pay for it in January! But I hope not.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy weather here on the East Coast of IA. I went Christmas shopping with a turtle neck and light sweater. No jacket. Got so warm in the van I turned on the AC !!! The grass is green The columbine and sweet peas are still green. The dead nettle is lush and BLOOMING! (I should get pics.) We had one heck of a thunderstorm last night. Do not know how much rain as the rain gauge was put away for the season. Extended forecast shows only rain and mid-forties through the 1st of the year. This coming Fri. and Sat. show below freezing temps but dry. Then another warm up. Oh Well we may pay for it in January! But I hope not.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy things happening here on TEG, too, Carol Dee. Triple strange.

I went shopping today with a sweatshirt -- standard winter wear inside the house -- and was overly warm. The restaurant where we stopped for lunch had AC turned on. Strange, but wonderful.

That's the second time I've heard "we may pay for it in January". Nope! Mother Nature does not keep score or count degree days. Every nice day now is one day closer to spring 2016. Yes, we may have rotten weather come January -- we usually do -- but because it's January not because December was a month to remember for its warmth.

Me? I'm counting the days until I get the peas get into the garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do become accustomed to temperatures. I suppose all living things do.

Haven't we all chuckled about visitors from several hundred miles to the south, or a lower elevation, having problems with the coolness that we take in stride? ~ snicker ~

It takes awhile to adjust and changes that might have usually occurred over a month or two, can be painful when they take place in a couple of days.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
One brutal Feb I just couldn't take it and flew to Florida for weekend. When I parked my car that morning it was 3 below zero. When I landed in Florida it was 62. People where walking around in winter coats, hats and gloves complaining how cold it was.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Nyboy, temperature is definitely a relative thing. 40 degrees in the summer has us running for mittens and warm jackets. That same 40 degrees in the winter and some idiots will be out in shorts.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How on earth did it post 3 times? Oh Well... here are some pics to show just how strange the weather is mid December in Eastern IA.
014.JPG

parrot feather (I think)
010.JPG

columbine
012.JPG

Sweet pea
015.JPG 016.JPG
Dead Nettle still in Bloom! (And taking over, I was warned!) ;)
017.JPG

Latest posts