Elderberries

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just learnt that the cut stalks of the Elderberries do not dry out and die over winter like other things do...all the ones I cut off my shrub started to sprout!!!!
I was about to chop them up and sprinkle them around the garden for mulch....eeeek, they'd just start putting roots out and growing all over the place.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just learnt that the cut stalks of the Elderberries do not dry out and die over winter like other things do...all the ones I cut off my shrub started to sprout!!!!
I was about to chop them up and sprinkle them around the garden for mulch....eeeek, they'd just start putting roots out and growing all over the place.
Oh wow! That's good to know. I would have used that for mulch too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went elderberry picking a few days ago. I dehydrated the berries and got 3 cups. We went today, didn’t get many, only 2 cups of fresh, so I froze them. Lots more on the canes, but still green.

We were discussing elderberries on BYH and @Simpleterrier chimed in and said to rub the bunches through 1/2”X1/2” hardware cloth. What a great idea! I walked past the lawn chairs, going to go get a piece of hardware cloth, which I’m sure would work splendidly, but turned around. I have metal lawn chairs, so used one of them. It sure speeded things up!
7EF0F8E4-B372-40D6-B3C7-A2FAF7A80137.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went elderberry picking a few days ago. I dehydrated the berries and got 3 cups. We went today, didn’t get many, only 2 cups of fresh, so I froze them. Lots more on the canes, but still green.

We were discussing elderberries on BYH and @Simpleterrier chimed in and said to rub the bunches through 1/2”X1/2” hardware cloth. What a great idea! I walked past the lawn chairs, going to go get a piece of hardware cloth, which I’m sure would work splendidly, but turned around. I have metal lawn chairs, so used one of them. It sure speeded things up!
View attachment 42750
That's a great idea! I'm fixin' to pick a whole bunch real soon from my tree, and that looks like the best way to de-berry the stems!

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well thank you for the idea! My 10 year old elderberry tree is fruiting for the first time this year, and my plan was to get up on a ladder and pick the individual berries. Now I see that I should clip the whole stems with clusters off, and de-berry them with wire. You all have just saved me a ton of time!:clap

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went elderberry picking! We got 2 wash pans full. I’ve got over half destemmed. Taking a hot tea break, then go feed, then cook supper, eat, shower and finish elderberries. Worked in garden, lopping off ragweed and lambs quarters, took 8 wagon loads to sheep. Then neighbor boy and I lopped poke and piled it on burn pile. DH and boy pulled goat weed out of backyard and pasture 2. I’m tired, but not done yet.

D37B81E4-BB08-4955-9046-76CDF21A4F78.jpeg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went elderberry picking! We got 2 wash pans full. I’ve got over half destemmed. Taking a hot tea break, then go feed, then cook supper, eat, shower and finish elderberries. Worked in garden, lopping off ragweed and lambs quarters, took 8 wagon loads to sheep. Then neighbor boy and I lopped poke and piled it on burn pile. DH and boy pulled goat weed out of backyard and pasture 2. I’m tired, but not done yet.

View attachment 42975
And I am tired just hearing about your day!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You

View attachment 42975
Wow look at all those berries! We didnt get many from our young bushes but I am hoping next year they will produce more.

Latest posts