Elephant Ear Question

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
(Well, not really a flower, but I guess I posted this in the right forum.)

I planted some elephant ears about a month ago and they've not come up yet. Is this normal for them to take that long? I've never planted them before, but the bulbs were new from Wally World, looked good and viable and I followed the directions.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it has something to do with soil temp. Mine took forever to start - and it was just yesterday that I saw the tiny tip of a sprout. If you gently brush away soil where you planted, you might see where it is getting going. Yes, in the 3 years I've had them, they were one of the last things to come up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did the same- still waiting on mine...I have planted them many times, and remember them taking forever- but this seems too long. When they come up, they are wonderful....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't think of the temp. They are tropical. I wish they'd hurry up and sprout because I have some caladiums to plant, but I forget where I put the the elephant ears exactly. :p

I need to buy some evergreens to put in the back of the bed for a little height and structure, but I thought these elephant ears would be a quick fix for this year since I've already spent so much on plants. I'll be watching for some evergreens to get marked down end of season. It's all coming together...slowly, but surely!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEP, they take FOREVER to come up. Of course that is because we are so anxious to see them. The watched pot thing! :confused:
oh jeez... I just remembered ours are not even in the ground! I will be July before we see ours at this rate. :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, I started mine inside...and am still waiting! Of course, it is in the 40's tonight- so I am thinking I won't see any growth in the morning either!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much for a fast filler then... Wish I'd thought of starting them indoors. You all are smart!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much for a fast filler then... Wish I'd thought of starting them indoors. You all are smart!
I've only grown them once for a customers containers, but once it warmed up they took off! I'm sure they'll perform nicely for you. rosehips and stone pots 2013 005.JPG

Latest posts