Elephant Ear Question

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hang in there Journey - once they get going you can almost watch them grow.
A tiny shoot one day - 4' of waving leaves the next.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I am going to try and start mine inside in January next year. That is ridiculously early for anything around here- but I need them at least sprouted by May! Geez, sorry you are having the same dreadful weather we are, Kristi...Better days are coming!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh My Gosh. I haven't thought about Elephant Ears in decades. When we lived in San Antonio, my baby bro ate some of an elephant ear in the back yard (along with everything else he could get in his mouth). Mother had to have his stomach pumped.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I'll have to watch the toddler around them then. Thanks for the warning.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
thiste, were they easy to grow in containers? How big of a container do they need? I'd like to make my deck look more tropical so that I can pretend I'm in Hawii or Mexico. :cool: (I noticed that my ofther smilie with the sunglasses is no longer here. :( I preferred that one to this new one. :()

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary We have grown them in pots, with the bottoms of the pots submerged in the shallow part of the pond. But that is not necessary. Just water them! I think the pots where about 12"clay pots, maybe the next size up.