EMERGENCY - Pear Tree Dying Quickly

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no idea what is going on, but I noticed a couple of leaves about a week ago with black edges starting to curl in. Since them I've found nothing that looks like it. I did see the closest thing being fire blight, but even the pictures of leaves on trees with it don't look the same.

This tree was HEALTHY just a few weeks ago. Now the fruit is mush almost ALL the leaves are black all the way through, and the one's that aren't are yellow and fading fast. I've never see any disease strike and kill only 1 tree out of 9 this fast?!

I'm tempted to rip it out before it spreads, but for my peace of mind I need to know what it is first before it spreads.

Currently, I've very sick and this is too much for me to handle. Which is weird, the disease of this tree is about the same idea of whats happening to me. One day we're fine, then next we're kinda iffy and now we're heading down hill together fast. Maybe saving this tree will give me some hope for myself. Especially since doctors don't know whats wrong with me. Maybe I can solve this mystery and get some good news for myself too in the end.

Please help!

Ps. - When I say black... I mean BLACK, not brown or dark red... and its solid, no spots or anything. Starts from the tip of the leaf, and is spreading down to the branches. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Vfem, I'm so sorry to hear you're so sick :hugs .
Sounds very much to me like fireblight, pears are especially susceptible. The bacteria overwinter in the bark, then in the spring insects carry it to the blossoms, where it gets spread by pollinators and splashing rain to other blossoms. The infection then spreads through the blossoms to the twigs and branches.
Hail damaged twigs and branches are also open to infection from the bacteria once it gets going.
You've probably had the ideal weather conditions for it to get a foothold, wet and warm is what it likes.

If you're tree survives you'll want to prune out the infected branches 12" beyond the injury and disinfect your clippers with alcohol between each cut. Destroy the prunings.

I hope you get better quickly, and that your tree survives too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I am going to try some of the copper fruit sprays I've seen that talked about keeping it at bay from the fruit and blossoms, and start hacking away hoping it survives.

I'm convinced my neighbor's trees have it, but he won't care for his or trim off the back branches. One tree actually ripped out of the ground and he put it back up but its still visabley dying badly. :(

First year my trees produce and they are all dying on me!

I'm going to have to beg hubby to help as I am actually too week to do this, and he's really not interested in helping lately. Of course my sprayer broke 2 days ago, so going to have to go manage to buy a new one asap. :(

As for the sick thing for me, just cross your fingers. I can't wait until the blood tests come back and we start doing something to give me some energy back. I feel.... lazy! :rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So sorry to hear you're having health problems. Fire blight starts in new growth so trim and dispose of all the soft growth at the ends of the branches. Try to hold back nitrogen as much as possible next Spring to slow the new growth. That can be a problem if they're in a lawn. If your neighbors trees have it you won't be able to keep it entirely away but slowing the growth and spraying just as the first blossoms open will help. Too late now but if you plant any new ones try to find fire blight resistant varieties.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem - I am no help with the tree but want to send get well wishes and prayers for you. It is no fun being sick.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no other advice for your poor tree either, just wanted to say I hope you get to feeling better soon! :hugs

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know anything about pears- but I am so sorry to hear you are not well. It has been sounding like you have really been pushing yourself, lately... Don't forget to take care of yourself! Hoping you are better soon....