Emproving nature, fixing trees

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is a scary proposition to think that they have already done this with apple trees. i saw the article late last week that they have done this to Granny Smith and Gala apples so they don't turn brown. i knew about potatoes being worked with a couple years ago too and now they are saying that we may see them on the market as soon as 2017!

the FDA approved them saying they aren't dangerous but i would like some more studying on these on some very remote island where it can't contaminate what we already have growing here.
http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...apple-potato-fda-approval-20150320-story.html

with apples i find it dumb that they just don't push those apple varieties that already have the gene that keeps them from browning when they are cut. there are some out there that do this without the need for being tinkered with: Cripp's Pink (aka Pink Lady), Golden and Red Delicious, and a few others that are offspring of those. there's also a good reason we have such genetic diversity, that because everyone has different tastes. and i like to taste different foods instead of the constant blandness.