Epi in bloom

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking past the sun room door I spotted a burst of red that I must have missed for a while. Much to my surprise, my Epiphyllum is in full bloom. I didn't even notice it had formed a bud, so focused I was on the seedlings I'd been tending.

Here she is:
Epi in bloom2.JPG

How in the world could anyone have 'missed' seeing this huge beauty I'll never know.

At one time I used to have quite a few Epis and a host of other succulents, but Spouse moved them from the protection of the sun room to the garden shed and most of them met a dark and frigid death. I'd only had one other Epi flower and that was a vibrant fuschia one in 2008.
Epi5.JPG

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red , those are lovely, I too used to have a lot of Epis but gave most away and I'm down to one 'If I Were King' I like yours better than mine. That is one vibrant red in the first picture.
DSCN5029.JPG

I think there is one more, very neglected on a lower shelf in the greenhouse in amongst some pots and other stuff, I think I should either rescue it or put it out of it's misery.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful! How big across do they measure? I thought they only bloomed at night? Or maybe that is just the white one.

Mine must be blooming when I blink, because I've yet to see them do anything. I've had them about 5 years. Mine have been very abused. A couple have been sacrificed to the compost pile, having dried out past the point of no return. I thought about putting the remaining two directly in the ground this summer in a partially shaded spot. I think they'd stand a better chance free and in the wild. :p

Latest posts