Epizote takes the blow out of beans

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After reading about Epizote, I went through my seed stash and found some I'd gotten in trade last year. Now I've got to find out how to grow them and if they will do well in my "neck".

Thanks ya'll.

Love and good to be back, Smart Red

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
After reading about Epizote, I went through my seed stash and found some I'd gotten in trade last year. Now I've got to find out how to grow them and if they will do well in my "neck".

Thanks ya'll.

Love and good to be back, Smart Red
Welcome back. Epizote will grow anywhere you have 3 months of warm (the hotter the better) weather. It is one of what my grandma used to call "contrary plants" and is best ignored rather than tended to. Just toss the seeds into some odd corner you aren't using and let them do their thing. They love sidewalk cracks but you probably don't want them there.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it looks like a weed around here. does it have a very spiney/thorny stem?
it sounds like something i would love to grow

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
it looks like a weed around here. does it have a very spiney/thorny stem?
it sounds like something i would love to grow
No thorns. What you are thinking of is probably careless weed which is native to Texas and Oklahoma. There are two varieties; smooth careless weed and thorny careless weed. The thorny one will tear you up if you try to pull it without sturdy gloves.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat up in Montana we had a Pigweed that could tear up bare hands. I wonder if it was actually that thorny careless weed. Especially tough in later summer.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think careless weed and pigweed are the same plant with a different name depending on the part of the country. It loves disturbed ground and was a real PITA in the cornfields of Oklahoma and Texas.