Ever Fail With Foolproof Plant ?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The list is long for the fail proof plants I cannot grow...heading them would be sweet onions. I can grow them anywhere but on this land, it would seem. Save with lavender of any kind.

The list could go on and on and on. Marigolds I have killed when young, but once established, they will grow here like crazy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The list is long for the fail proof plants I cannot grow...heading them would be sweet onions. I can grow them anywhere but on this land, it would seem. Save with lavender of any kind.

The list could go on and on and on. Marigolds I have killed when young, but once established, they will grow here like crazy.

if you take a spot in full sun, mound it up about a foot and a half, plant the lavender in that and then mulch it with crushed limestone all around it. you'll likely be ok. we have tons of it here, you'd be welcome to many hundred plants to try out to get some to take. the plants over the years have gotten huge and many surrounding spaces are taken over by them or there are starts in the gravel. easiest plant we grow other than the fact that both of us react to it like poison ivy. beautiful blooming right now.

p.s. regarding sweet onions, have you ever tried Kelcey Giant? i put those in very fertile soil with plenty of moisture and they do great, but they may be a long day onion so i'm not sure how much that affects things for someone further south... hmm...

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've killed mint before. I put it next to a building where it cooked in the afternoon sun and under the overhang where it was very dry, little rain got to it. I did not water it enough and the reflected sunlight got it really hot.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cactus... i managed to kill off most of my collection of them. one year i was really busy working on something else and didn't pay much attention to them, they got scale and it spread... i tried cleaning it off, but some of them just impossible to do.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a guy who was once paid to care for them in a greenhouse, I'm not too good with roses. They are now outdoors!

I just managed to spray the climbing rose soon enough with fungicide so that most of the flower buds could open. The mildew seems to be suppressing growth for next year's blooms but, at least, the bright flowers hide the fungus damaged leaves at the moment.

@thistlebloom complimented me for having kept the hybrid tea in the front yard going for 20+ years. I think it was here only a short time before we moved in because, surely, no one would keep a rose shoved into the shade where it didn't have enough sun to bloom. Still, it was a huge plant when I moved it. It shrunk. This year, it's size probably isn't 15% and had nearly died back completely by spring. The other 2 rose neighbors struggled for several years but died. Aphids and mildew, life for a rose in my yard is a difficult one.

Impatiens are like the #1 bedding plant in the US. I can keep this annual alive but for what purpose? The flowers shrivel to nothing ...

Steve

Latest posts