Everything is slowly dying...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just thinking now is a good time for trenches... or adding in french drains to redirect rain!

My yard has been squishy and flooded too... I'm grateful for my raised beds... my pond is MAD over filled, good thing there is a drain installed for overflow to go into a neighboring creek. (Hate it for their neighborhood though.)

It seems like some evil plot against the east!!! :/ Or worse, mother nature shorted up on rain for like 7 year and now she's trying to catch us all up at once!!! :barnie

Anyways.... if you need any ideas on how to go about this let me know! I'll try to give you some tips... we've already had to dig one under our front walk. I think you need to fight it instead of just letting the weather destroy all your work... you can save it!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want you to know that I HEART FRENCH DRAINS!!! the more the better!!!

I live in the land of rain and since they paved over my beloved paradise we deal with a lot of flooding here in Western WA

French drains are wonderful, very cheap fix, easy to put in and
they are of God anywhere you need to redirect water they can go

hugs and best wishes for a better rest of the summer

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight! :frow

What do you call FRENCH drains -- I have never heard of the term.....!!! Then we Brits tend to only name nasty things after them: they have been the ENEMY for hundreds of years! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :gig :gig

It's obviously one of those terms which is NOT in our common dictionary.....!!:plbb

:rose Hattie :rose

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
gone 2 seed said:
WE are getting a lot of rain here north of you in NC. I told my husband I should have planted rice this year because it is one plant of that likes this much water. . My garden is doing okay but not great. it is suppose to be in the 90's the next few days so maybe it will dry out.
gone 2 seed, now theres an idea :D :celebrate!!

That would be interesting to grow rice, where would you get the seed for it, in the past i tried growing rice from the supermarkets but its parboiled for some reason.

I know rice likes bog-like conditions i guess its a lot like growing other grain like oats except the different conditions they grow in.

Very interesting :coolsun
I have no idea where you would get the seed. Maybe you can do a google search. It would be fun to try.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, here is an article explaining french drains. Basically they're put around an area to help direct water away. Many people here in New England have them around their foundations to keep water from their cellars.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those look much more complicated than what I do but basically the same idea..I dig a hole twice as deep as the drain cap then put some gravel in put a permiable membrane liner in and put the drain top in ..now I am not sure if this is good practice if you do not have a good bed to do this ..we have a nice balance of rocks to soil so I am not worried about making sink holes
buy running the water under and into our ground

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ann :frow

Thank you for the link about French/Land Drains I think we call them Land Drains or Soak Aways. I have them for my house because it is made of Wychert ( a mixture of Clay, Straw & Animal Hair) on a foundation of large stones.

:rose Hattie :rose

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oooh, I'm just now checking back in. French drains look great, but not sure they would work in my garden. I'm going to go for raised beds next year.
I did get my second wind and I am going to be planting an heirloom tomato (Black Trifle) and heirloom spinach (not real spinach, but that's what it's called?) that I purchased at the NC State Farmer's Market on Saturday (I was visiting a friend). I think I will be putting both in containers!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh my gosh :( I just checked out your blog the other day and was admiring how nice it is. I'm so sorry and I'll be sending sunshiney, dry vibes your way :coolsun