Excuses, Excuses....

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I think I'm a dirt hoarder :( My barn is a disaster, I have things scattered everywhere...house, barn, other house, garden, yard, gazebo...yet Dew still puts up with me. Frankly, I would have kicked my butt to the curb years ago :p
I agree with you 100% on the hoarder thing!!!! YOUR part of the barn is a disaster, mine is not "clean" but it is organized.... until you get in there! :/ after you get done, :he I want to sit down and :hit. Once the weather cools down again, around October.... I will organize MY spot in the barn.... AGAIN

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Every time I look at the threads entitled "What did you can today?" or "What did you do in the garden today?" I am amazed at the energy and dedication of some of the gardeners here. I mean, gee whiz, Monty J, do you ever sleep? and Baymule and Marshall and Catjac and digitsS', you all work circles around me. Every one on this forum is inspirational in their own way.

Then I start making excuses for myself, to myself, for not having a big harvest or already having 40 quarts of green beans canned (or any at all canned).

Let's see....I was going to pick a bunch of strawberries from the U-pick place south of here, but I hurt my knee and couldn't squat down for about a month. Then I was going to go to the U-pic blueberry farm, but it got too hot. I have the fencing to expand the chicken yard; just haven't quite gotten to it yet. I had intended to put out a couple more shade trees, but my husband's truck is broken down and he hasn't fixed it, so I can't haul anything. (Been hauling straw in my trunk, not a good move)

Now I guess I am kind of in a funk due to DH being in a depression/anxiety/paranoia state for the last few months. I am so weary of trying to convince him the police are not coming to arrest him, and that he is not dying of some unknown disease, and that his relatives are not out to kill him, and that the meds that were prescribed for the paranoia are not poisonous. Geez.....

Yes, I know he needs to see a therapist. I can't convince him of that. I have kind of put my life on hold, hoping he will start improving. It's hard to have a marriage when one of us has shut down.

My garden has been a real source of pleasure for me, in spite of the mediocre harvest. I can go out to talk to the chickens, too, even if it's to scold Scarlet for squashing her egg again.

So this summer is turning out like lots of others: Strange, disconnected, kind of lonely, since DH can't bear to have people come to the house, (I am thankful for you all here) and not very productive. Not really feeling sorry for myself; I don't do that very much. It is what it is, as they say.

This is such a perfect day, weather-wise....I should be at a picnic or taking a hike. Maybe I'll take my PB&J sandwich outside! :)

Thanks for letting me whine for a while. I know things will get better eventually.
It's important to take care of yourself first - the rest second. :hugs

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He does have amazing attributes, and redeeming qualities, but it's too late in the game to bother re-train a new guy.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First off you can't compare yourself to anybody else. You do what makes you happy, gives you peace and takes care of you. I'm very sorry for what you have to deal with I couldn't imagine how tough that's gotta be.

Notice how you never see pictures of gardens that need some attention? That's because we're too ashamed to post them! We all want the "Wow" and the "way to go!" comments instead of "umm there's a tomato in there?" Or "yes that IS my Rose of Sharon pic, what you can't see it?"

You have to learn to prioritize and what doesn't get done is just undone. Your 1 person, dealing with another who obviously needs your help. The to do list gets shuffled around and you manage.

I moved into our new house on June 15th. Our 2nd daughter arrived on the 20th for my wife and I. Since then our dog was sick requiring an overnight stay at the clinic, and now the cat I think has cancer. At my house I still have switch plates to put on, I have a fan/light combo to replace the ceiling light to put up still, we have 1, YES 1 mirror in the house that's up. Know why? Its part of my wife's vanity. No bathroom mirrors at my house! We have them, they just haven't made it up. Anywhere I haven't mulched with grass clippings in my garden is a weedy mess. The basements full of boxes that need to be sorted and moved. I got the garage clean so I could at least pull the mower in and out without dragging everything out every time I pull it out. The deck needs staining I could go on and on. I've got plenty to do, but I run out of time or more important things come up. Life goes on.

Don't even get me started on the landscaping its atrocious.

But we know its going to get done eventually, and if not, well then it didn't. You gotta take care of you, give yourself some slack, and enjoy what makes you happy. Take a little me time. Then worry about your spouse. THEN comes everything else. What good is a weed free garden if someone you love is suffering because your too busy with keeping things perfect?

I hope that things get better for you, we're here for you when you need us.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Said! :thumbsup
I'm going right home and take pictures of the things that I've neglected and not gotten around to!
(of course they'll be little itty bitty cell phone pictures because I haven't gotten around to going and getting that new camera yet....)

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Well Said! :thumbsup
I'm going right home and take pictures of the things that I've neglected and not gotten around to!
(of course they'll be little itty bitty cell phone pictures because I haven't gotten around to going and getting that new camera yet....)
Itty bitty :gig :gig I thought I was the only one who talked like that.

There are pictures of our garden that show how bad the weeds have gotten. I just try to crop out the weeds :lol::lol:

Our garden is far from weed free by any means. I'm sure if I were faced with the issues you are dealing with I'd most definitely fall apart! I take care of my dad whom has health issues, and it's a very BIG job. I have an older brother, but his life is too important to be bothered with my elderly fathers health issues.
I just take it one day at a time, that's all I can really do.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is part of the beauty of my macro photography, you don't see the weeds!!!!! lol lol lol Or the leggy scraggly plant w/ the one pretty flower.

Latest posts