Family Hobbies

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

To be honest, I am like a Moose in a China closet. I was having vision issues for a long time and my wife had to thread my needles, but I was able to piddle along at my own speed. That Broach took me near bouts of a week, but most people could do it in a few hours. My wife still makes jewelry and she's a lot better than me. The next time she makes something, I'll get her to snap a picture.

She and I both love to fly fish, but she don't care much about fly tying.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Annette, those vases are amazing! I am a sucker for a beautiful wood grain. I feel a tinge of regret every time I toss a piece of spalted maple into the woodstove. I wish I had your husband's talent to make something out of it!

I was going to post this box I painted, so it makes more sense to post it here. These are some items I made for a wedding next Saturday. I would have looked for a golden latch to put on the front and a bit of evergreen to go with the bow, but it was short notice. It started out as a cheap, white satin covered cardboard box from the party store. The writing is painted by hand, all done with acrylics.

I guess they are having a woodland wedding. Sounds lovely. I think I would have liked to have had one myself, had it been the thing at that time, lol.

20180211_015358.jpg 20180211_015214.jpg 20180211_015003.jpg 20180211_014904.jpg
20180211_030813.jpg
20180209_182119.jpg

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm, I wrote a long winded post, hit submit and only part of it appeared so I deleted it, sooooo, I will keep it short and sweet this time:).

@journey11 that box is really lovely, I'm sure they will treasure it, I know I would. My handwriting :( sometimes I can't even read what I write.
When hubby bought his first lathe he turned what we had, alder firewood. He came across some that had spalted so started out with that.
I have a couple of the first pieces he turned, a hurricane lamp, the base turned out of alder and a bowl also alder which I still use to hold a ball of wool when I'm either knitting or crocheting. These are 20 years old give or take a year, the little bowl has a few dings in it, alder is soft and both of these have darkened with age. These are two of my prized possessions The last dozen years he turned he only turned maple but he turned different kinds of wood the first few years.
Being a perfectionist when it came to his wood turnings if he wasn't happy with it he'd saw it in halve and throw it on the fire pile before I could get my hands on it :(.
One of the rejects I managed to snatch is a little hollow form which is sitting on a shelf in the garden room, wrens like to make a nest in it.

I'm glad I started this thread, look at all the hidden talents popping up we didn't know each other had :).

Annette

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread on family hobbies, I'll start off with a couple of ours. My hubby comes from a family that loved to work with wood and it has passed down from generation to generation.
Hubby didn't start turning until after he retired but he turned some lovely pieces, I have a few but most have been sold. Unfortunately arthritis has taken it's toll and he doesn't do much anymore. Here's a few, I did manage to snatch a lamp similar to the one below :).
View attachment 24443 View attachment 24444
Burl Vase...............................................................Fiddleback Maple Vase

View attachment 24445 View attachment 24446
Fiddleback Maple Vase,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fiddleback Maple Vase

View attachment 24448 View attachment 24449
Maple Burl....................................................Maple Burl

View attachment 24447
Fiddleback Maple

#2 son is a wood carver, I only have a picture of one of his carvings in my photo album, not the one he won the Canadian fish carving championship with one year but it's not too shabby either, every bit of it is carved out of wood.
View attachment 24450

I'm sure you guys have some hidden talents tucked away, can we see them, please, pretty please. Me I just play in the dirt :(.

Annette

WOW Those are fantastic wood turnings and the fish are AWARD winning! So realistic. My Dad also took up wood carving and won several wards. I posted them here on TEG some where ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Famil hobbies, so many... it is a wonder we get any paying work done! LOL Myself. Paper craft/card making, jewelry, chair caning, flower garden, knitting, basket weaving, starting to quilt. (And collecting more supplies than I can ever use!)
Hubby's hobbies are: woodcarving, bees, vegetable garden and fruit trees.
Time to retire and play all day! LOL Yeah right.;)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread on family hobbies, I'll start off with a couple of ours. My hubby comes from a family that loved to work with wood and it has passed down from generation to generation.
Hubby didn't start turning until after he retired but he turned some lovely pieces, I have a few but most have been sold. Unfortunately arthritis has taken it's toll and he doesn't do much anymore. Here's a few, I did manage to snatch a lamp similar to the one below :).
View attachment 24443 View attachment 24444
Burl Vase...............................................................Fiddleback Maple Vase

View attachment 24445 View attachment 24446
Fiddleback Maple Vase,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fiddleback Maple Vase

View attachment 24448 View attachment 24449
Maple Burl....................................................Maple Burl

View attachment 24447
Fiddleback Maple

#2 son is a wood carver, I only have a picture of one of his carvings in my photo album, not the one he won the Canadian fish carving championship with one year but it's not too shabby either, every bit of it is carved out of wood.
View attachment 24450

I'm sure you guys have some hidden talents tucked away, can we see them, please, pretty please. Me I just play in the dirt :(.

Annette

That’s amazing, both your husband and son!

Latest posts