Family Restaurant

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if one could plant the turmeric from a health food store?

those bits i saw looked like they would grow if given the right conditions. it being a tropical plant you have to have a pretty warm location for it - anything between 70F and up to 95F. kept moist in good soil with plenty of organic material.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fried dumpling night!
13789.jpg

A lot of vegetable (50%), eggs, and minced meat (beef+pork) - this is the dumpling filling
13761_0.jpg

Cabbage, leek, flower sprout - some salt to remove the water and astringency
2813.jpg

I love the flower sprouts <3 They provided a good amount of delicious vegetables in the early spring.
13551.jpg

13812.jpg

Freshly made and immediately pan-fried
13791.jpg

Yummy!
13811.jpg

Nikko (Sunlight) and her lunch :D
13768_1.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I love ALDII!!! Been shopping there for over 20 years!! Every Saturday I would take my grocery money, get
E V E R Y T H I N G on my list that they carried, then hit another local grocery store.
I have found Lots of interesting items, including two 7 ft long sleeping cots that DD's "stole" and are still super comfortable. I needed the length bc DH is 6'3", used to be 6'5" tall, and couldn't fit a normal sized cot.
$18/each, At the time.
They carry a very nice Wine Advent Calendar, and copycats can't come CLOSE to how nice Theirs is, including Costco.
The model is 3 employees who stack and man the registers and they get to SIT while they scan your stuff.
They don't give away bags, but you can either buy from them OR bring your own OR grab cardboard shipping produce boxes and carry out your stuff that way.
You don't have to use a cart, but their carts are locked and unlocked with a quarter, which you get back.
Aldi shoppers are the friendliest I've met and often we give somebody a cart in the parking lot, if they are fishing for quarters/change. You almost never see a loose cart, hence the very smart operating model.
Since I live near 3 cities that have grown together, I can shop at any of the 3 Aldi stores, if one has run out of something I want. One of them is within walking distance of DH's law office.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just fried some chicken at our first tulip corner in the garden; delicious and juicy!
442.jpg

Homemade cold drink with fresh mints. Most of the mint cuttings are now in the water for developing new roots and be transplanted later. I used pure lemon juice to make some lemon ice cubes - they can make most cold drinks taste better.
443.jpg

What will be the dinner tomorrow in the tulip corner? :D
44067.jpg

Latest posts