Family Restaurant

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After getting some discounted goodies yesterday, I processed them before storing them in the freezer. About 5kg salmon - I seasoned them with three different flavors: Chili and Salted Lemon, Sea flavored salt (I use salt, dried seaweed, dried fish, dried ginger to make our own seasoning salt), and Miso.
1160.jpg

1157.jpg

1159.jpg

Now we have salmon enough for the next 6-8 weeks.
1158.jpg

Then I also prepare some food for dogs and cats.
1149.jpg

Their daily meals contain meaty bones, meat, and organs. I will buy organs mainly from the online shop or go to the Turkish market in the next bigger town. With this preparation, it's easier for me to arrange their food twice a day.
1148.jpg

This is the meal for our dogs and cats today - I do have the feeling that I am their private chef.
1147.jpg

1151.jpg

I am learning some Indian dishes recently (from MasterClass). The potatoes from our garden are used, and I pan-fried the potato peels for the chickens.
1156.jpg

Together with some fermented feed, these can give them a small but happy meal before going inside the coop.
1155.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always enjoy the time preparing meals for the family. No matter what, it is the warm shelter for all of us inside this house.
1442.jpg

Removing the bones from chicken thighs, removing the outer skin of the long-stem broccoli, making broth, seasoning the boneless chicken thigh...etc. Usually, I use this time to listen to the radio news and practice my German.
1443.jpg

I don't know why I can always buy mushrooms at half price. I mean, they all look super clean and perfect for me.
1444.jpg

Pan-fried chicken thighs, omelet with mushroom and ham, and broccoli
1439.jpg

I also opened the second can of salted lemon for marinating the turkey meat for tomorrow. I made four cans last year, and they enhance the flavor nicely. I will make some more this year.
1440.jpg

1441.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's another ordinary day, and we went on a treasure hunt in the local discounter. The discounter has much more products than usual to prepare for the coming holidays. That means, when the best-before date approaches, a lot of the same things will get these 50% discount stickers.

For example, I got four packages of 1-Kg beef minced meat; however, at least ten packages were still there.
1658_0.jpg

I didn't buy bananas at a regular price for a long time. The 50% off ones are excellent and perfect, in my opinion.
1659_0.jpg

Meats are going to the deep freezer immediately. I paid good attention today and marked on my google calendar that this Saturday (Christmas Eve), so many different ingredients will be on special price again.
1660(1).jpg

Cooking time - nothing fancy, but everything yummy - the home flavor.
1676.jpg

I keep preparing food for chickens every day, the same for our dogs and cats. Sometimes I will think like this; maybe I was rescued by them in the previous life, and this life, this is something I would do to return their favors. :D
1674.jpg

From time to time, we can buy this kind of long-stem Broccoli from Spain. The stems are the best part - full of flavor and sweetness. However, they will taste good after peeling the outer skins. This evening, we had some roasted chicken, so I used the bones and broccoli skin to make broth. Did anyone also use the bone from roasted chicken to make broth? I can still remember that I learned this from a novel from I was young.
1671.jpg

I don't know if I should use the word "quiet" to describe my daily life. But it is. Taking good care of the family, working, observing plants, and reading - I love them all.
1673.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I say that, "no bone leaves the house unboiled."

It isn't completely true but broth is very important to my cooking and DW likes to make soup.

Everything becomes better, stir-fries, casseroles, everything - just being cooked in or having broth added to. There, I've ended a sentence with a preposition so I'd better stop.

;) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't know of any other way to make decent chicken soup. starts with roasted chicken carcass that has any meat left that we didn't want to eat right away plus everything else. same for turkey soup (which i like a lot more than chicken soup).

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The second family kitchen is reborn in Cologne. After thoroughly cleaning, I filled up the fridge and cooked the first meal there.
2784.jpg

Everything from scratch
2761.jpg

2730.jpg

Living in such a big city is much different from where we live now. I simply ordered the delivery service from a supermarket, and this morning everything we needed arrived on time. The fridge is now super clean and ready to host these good ingredients.
2732.jpg

Soon I will start the compost pile here, too.
2716.jpg

2733.jpg

The chicken carcasses were used to make soup, and the rest were also prepared separately.
2735.jpg

2726.jpg

This is the meal sent for my father-in-law. Today's meal looks better, but I added some tomatoes and cucumber to make it looks more balanced.
2774_0.jpg

Tomorrow's lunchboxes for my husband and daughter were also done.
2816.jpg

Now, it's another kitchen where I can prepare many delicious dishes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can chicken broth. I raise meat chickens and slaughter them. The skin, wing tips, hearts, etc. go to the dogs. I simmer the bones for broth and can it in quart and pint jars. I scald and peel the feet, cut off the toenails and simmer them for broth. Dogs get the feet, minus the large bones. I like fried chicken livers and gizzards. Nothing goes to waste. I cook with the broth and use it to can vegetables for soup. Simmered with fresh garlic and ginger, it makes a good hot cup of broth when I have a sore throat or sniffly nose.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can chicken broth. I raise meat chickens and slaughter them. The skin, wing tips, hearts, etc. go to the dogs. I simmer the bones for broth and can it in quart and pint jars. I scald and peel the feet, cut off the toenails and simmer them for broth. Dogs get the feet, minus the large bones. I like fried chicken livers and gizzards. Nothing goes to waste. I cook with the broth and use it to can vegetables for soup. Simmered with fresh garlic and ginger, it makes a good hot cup of broth when I have a sore throat or sniffly nose.
The way we cook chicken parts is quite similar! The soup I made yesterday was with fresh garlic and ginger! I also love fried chicken livers. After our dogs became raw fed (because two kittens are raw fed after two months old), most of the bones and carcasses belong to them. Only the bones from the drumsticks will be kept for making broth. I love chicken meat.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I should use the word "quiet" to describe my daily life. But it is. Taking good care of the family, working, observing plants, and reading - I love them all.
From what you describe of your life, I would call it "contented" and/or "fulfilling". Your extended family - including furred and feathered - must truly appreciate all the care bestowed upon them.

Latest posts