Fashion in the garden

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you wear when gardening? I have a deep fear of snakes and a yard infested with them. Once I came across 5 different snakes in one afternoon. Because of this fear I always wear heavy doc martens that come up almost to the knee ( left over from my punk rock days) . Then a pair of sweat pants, long shelve shirt. Boots and sweat pants look very funny but I don't care, have even run to garden center dress this way. Do you have a gardening outfit?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
What do you wear when gardening? I have a deep fear of snakes and a yard infested with them. Once I came across 5 different snakes in one afternoon. Because of this fear I always wear heavy doc martens that come up almost to the knee ( left over from my punk rock days) . Then a pair of sweat pants, long shelve shirt. Boots and sweat pants look very funny but I don't care, have even run to garden center dress this way. Do you have a gardening outfit?
TOO FUNNY!

I have a pair of Doc Martens from back in the day, steel toe, that I call my mudding boots. I use them when I work around the pond and wooded areas because I'm terrified of the water moccasins. I also use them on muddy days and when we till.

Other then that, I ALWAYS wear jeans. Even in the summer, I NEVER wear shorts outside. I don't even own a part of shorts. I do wear long skirts on occasions (rarely).

Last year I did splurge a little, I bought a bendy sun hat in chocolate brown and had my initials embroidered into it in my favor color lime green. LOVE!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I usually wear my bright colored flower rubber boots, long cotton shorts, and my sun shirt when I'm out there weeding and planting. When I harvest tomatoes and cucumbers I have to wear long sleeves and gloves because the leaves bother my skin so bad. Oh, and I always have my giant floppy sun hat on. It's tan and black striped with neon green, pink, and navy blue strings tied around it. And I have a rooster feather stuck in it. This hat gets many strange looks when I wear it out places. My grandma told me I should "retire it" :lol:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Loose fitting comfy clothes, most shirts are long sleeved, pants sweat type or shorts, shoes either those heavy duty sandles w/ the wide "leather" velcro straps or bare footed. If I'm going to be on my knees alot (digging) then I wear jeans.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ummm, unfortunately I am often in the wrong clothing when I see something that needs my attention. "Oh I'll just do this really quick and then change..." I have ruined so many shoes and clothes. We farmers joke about having anything nice as we end up ruining it.

That being said, I have a flare for the dramatic. I go to good will and get dresses to wear and ruin. I just like the nostalgia of it. When I am seriously farming though I wear jeans, rain boots in wet weather and boots in warm, Long sleeves for sun protection and this really great sun hat I was given for mothers day in a leaf green. I have picks of me flame weeding in shorts...lol

I make big cotton skirts with pocket to wear as well. I will get some pics and post them.... try not to laugh tooo hard.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing fancy, just shorts/capris and whatever ratty old t-shirts I've dedicated to getting stained by tomato leaves. I should wear a floppy hat...need to invest in one, because I'm very fair skinned and skin cancer runs on my dad's side, so I shouldn't be taking any risks.

But I'll tell you what NOT to wear in the garden -- CROCS. Sharp things can poke right through them. Occasionally I come across old rusty nails or glass in my garden because some previous homeowner used it for a burn site. :/ My mom had cut out some tiny bamboo plants in her flower garden and you can imagine where this story goes... She had a very deep puncture wound that got very infected. So good shoes are a must!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doc Martin? I watch that show on teevee! 8pm on Sundays!

I must be 50 miles from the nearest rattlesnake - I hope! Hush Puppies and 501 Levi's, partly because having a pair was so important to me when I was a kid. I'll go for the most thin and thread-bare during hot weather.

Baseball cap with some (imagined) appropriate logo - bought one the other day that says "Cultivator" ;).

Jackets and shirts vary with the weather. I am inclined to wear long-sleeve but not comfortable in them during the hottest part of year. Besides, they shrink a little and I can't get the sleeves buttoned.

Steve
who is wearing a new pair of wool socks, today :)!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flip-Flops!!!! :weee Kick them off and go barefoot!!! Shorts, T-shirt, nothing special.

Southern gardeners prayer:

Thank you God for nail polish to hide my composted toenails!
Amen.

Latest posts