Favorite Garden Tool?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My favorite tool is pictured below, would you call this a hoe? My favorite one has a longer handle, but otherwise same as pictured. It basically is a multitool, I use it for weeding, preparing for sowing and planting. If I would be allowed only one gardingtool this would be it.

9200000010827384.jpg

I have this nice handforged one on my wishlist...
1964200_1.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been using this little hand hoe a lot this season. I bought it last year, but it stayed in my tool bag until I was looking for my sharpener this spring. I "rediscovered" it and used it at work for cutting weeds out of a waist high rock terrace bed. It worked so well it is my new go to tool for fine work.
I used it yesterday planting my peppers too.

Those Dutch know how to make a nice tool!

61IkdOKixcL._SL1500_.jpg

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been using this little hand hoe a lot this season. I bought it last year, but it stayed in my tool bag until I was looking for my sharpener this spring. I "rediscovered" it and used it at work for cutting weeds out of a waist high rock terrace bed. It worked so well it is my new go to tool for fine work.
I used it yesterday planting my peppers too.

Those Dutch know how to make a nice tool!

61IkdOKixcL._SL1500_.jpg
That is one cool looking little hoe. Just looked these guys up and they make some really interesting tools. Definitely going on the wish list! Thanks for sharing!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was gardening this morning and I've got a new favorite garden tool. Tool purists may claim it's not a tool, but meh. I got a new garden bag this past Christmas - it's the red one from Lee Valley that I suppose many have seen in the catalog if you receive them.

This garden bag is simply the most useful garden bag I've ever owned and I've had several. I'm not one for leaving reviews, but I can say that this bag will be with me for a long time as it's incredibly well thought out and well constructed. Now I certainly am extraordinarily fond of the items it's holding, but I have to say...the bag is my new favorite tool (taking the spot from this really medieval looking mini Japanese garden hoe which I still love).View attachment 31892
Mine will be my friend's shovel. he gave it to me 2 years ago. And I still have it in our toolbox. In fact I don't wanna use it. :D

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Lately I've discovered potato forks. Works a treat for digging out Guinea grass, which is the bane of my gardening existence.

Previously, it had been some sort of a mountain climbing pick axe thing. Sort of a small curved hoe on one side and a pick on the other with about two feet of handle. Some sort of really tough yet lightweight metal, maybe titianium? Great little garden tool. But, doesn't faze Guinea grass at all so now I'm liking the potato fork.

Previously, I'd been fond of some sort of five tined hand held harrow thing, but it was mostly just because it was cool looking, it wasn't as useful as it was fun looking. Not exactly sure what it is, found it at a yard sale, it may have been the cultivator part of a walk behind type of cultivator.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I am infatuated with this new plugger.
PXL_20210530_155419529.jpg

I transplanted almost 100 plugs of St Augustine yesterday. I definitely like this plugger. It has this interior of the pipe acting like a magazine, holding dirt to put in the wheelbarrow or plugs of grass from a now aerated spot to the new location. Very neat and clean, both the cut holes and the work area. But the soil is slightly moist out there so its hanging together.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reviving this 'older' thread :)

I need a good leaf rake. One that will WORK. I've broken so many it's ridiculous. Metal ones, plastic ones, wide ones, skinny ones, springy ones, stiff ones...... Do any of you have one that you love? IS there such a thing? Maybe I should give up the idea of a good leaf rake and just use a manure fork?

Also - I think I'd like a stirrup hoe or scuffle hoe? Lots of mulched areas that get surface weeds that need to be cut before they make it down into the soil and get a good hold. I've looked a soooo many and they have such mixed reviews. My barn is FULL of cheap tools that do halfa$$ed jobs. I don't want to spend a bunch on one more to add to the collection - but I will spend a good bit for one that will last years.

Recommendations?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reviving this 'older' thread :)

I need a good leaf rake. One that will WORK. I've broken so many it's ridiculous. Metal ones, plastic ones, wide ones, skinny ones, springy ones, stiff ones...... Do any of you have one that you love? IS there such a thing? Maybe I should give up the idea of a good leaf rake and just use a manure fork?

Also - I think I'd like a stirrup hoe or scuffle hoe? Lots of mulched areas that get surface weeds that need to be cut before they make it down into the soil and get a good hold. I've looked a soooo many and they have such mixed reviews. My barn is FULL of cheap tools that do halfa$$ed jobs. I don't want to spend a bunch on one more to add to the collection - but I will spend a good bit for one that will last years.

Recommendations?
Like this maybe?
40846909_000_c.jpeg

As to leaf rakes I like the rounded green plastic ones with the lightweight wood handles. They do not last forever but they are not meant for a heavy hand. Rather lightweight fast broom motions and are a cheap to replace item after quite a number of years usage.

Last edited:

Latest posts