Favorite Garden Tool?

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was gardening this morning and I've got a new favorite garden tool. Tool purists may claim it's not a tool, but meh. I got a new garden bag this past Christmas - it's the red one from Lee Valley that I suppose many have seen in the catalog if you receive them.

This garden bag is simply the most useful garden bag I've ever owned and I've had several. I'm not one for leaving reviews, but I can say that this bag will be with me for a long time as it's incredibly well thought out and well constructed. Now I certainly am extraordinarily fond of the items it's holding, but I have to say...the bag is my new favorite tool (taking the spot from this really medieval looking mini Japanese garden hoe which I still love).
IMG_3354.jpeg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I retired, my work friends gave me a gift of a garden bucket that had an apron around it with pockets and tools. Kind of the same idea as yours, but not quite. I think it would have been used more if the bucket had a lid, making it available as a seat. I know it could have been turned upside down, but what if I had water in the bucket? o_O
I'm also remembering something very similar to yours that I got at a garage sale about 10 years ago. It was owned by a lady who used essential oils, and the bag smelled like patchouli. Still does.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice tool bag! Looks so nicely organized. I love organized tools.
I keep a tool bag in the back seat of my truck with all my small hand tools and gloves etc, but it's hard to keep organized. I tend to dig through hurriedly when I'm working and needing a specific small tool.
It's just a generic Harbor Freight thing.

What I was thinking today was one of those tool belts that the gals at a local nursery wear. They have clippers, pruning saw, plant ties and I don't know what all, but it's all there at hand when you need it. No trudging back to the truck for the thing you forgot, or setting down your little pruning saw to get at your clippers and and having it get covered with plant material.

My favorite tool is probably my Stihl hand clippers, and the holster they hang in on my pocket.

So what's that mini garden hoe look like? I think we need a picture.

Junebugaboo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oooh, very nice....I've got a tool carrier that fits around a 5 gallon bucket--handy for collecting weeds or sitting on when I need to.

I have to say, my favorite garden tool of the moment is my titanium coated loppers/pruner--I'm in love with my fruit trees, and this tool is INDISPENSABLE. Sometimes, I have to get out the reciprocating saw and that briefly becomes my precious...but it's really just a fling :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we use buckets for hauling tools around in and i have to keep one handy for weeds that will go to the weed pile and that one i usually put my muddy shoes in when i'm done. the garden tool i like the most is the stirrup hoe. used often, but just for a few minutes and we can keep after most of the vegetable gardens.

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The aforementioned Mini Japanese Garden Hoe. The handle is about 15" which gives you a lot more leverage than your typical hand tool. I just love the size and have used it for years. Most of my gardening efforts are in either raised beds or small spaces so these style tools are perfect for me.
IMG_3359.jpeg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice tool bag! Looks so nicely organized. I love organized tools.
I keep a tool bag in the back seat of my truck with all my small hand tools and gloves etc, but it's hard to keep organized. I tend to dig through hurriedly when I'm working and needing a specific small tool.
It's just a generic Harbor Freight thing.

What I was thinking today was one of those tool belts that the gals at a local nursery wear. They have clippers, pruning saw, plant ties and I don't know what all, but it's all there at hand when you need it. No trudging back to the truck for the thing you forgot, or setting down your little pruning saw to get at your clippers and and having it get covered with plant material.

My favorite tool is probably my Stihl hand clippers, and the holster they hang in on my pocket.

So what's that mini garden hoe look like? I think we need a picture.
I like the tool belt idea. I have a tendency to put my pruners down and then have to look for them. They are also never around when I see something that needs deadheading or pruning.

Mary

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was using a tool belt once and had my pruners pointy side up like a dope, I bent over to pluck a weed and almost impaled myself. So, tool belts aren't for people with my lack of short term memory and inability to face tools in the right direction.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Using this very appropriate reasoning, my favorite garden tool would be the stool that I sit on.

:)

Gettin er dun ... I’d say that it would be a spading fork or 4-prong cultivator. Long handles on both ... yeah, those 2 would be tied. Next place tie would be a 3-prong cultivator or a short-handled, little pointy hoe. Yes, mine is Japanese made - I can use it sitting on a stool.

Steve ;)

Latest posts