Favorite recipes

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watching PBS yesterday about Greek & then Mexican meals, it made we think about this site and it’s members. I now only use @ninnymary recipe for salsa. Can’t help but wonder how many other recipes are out there that are favorites that maybe simple but bring back great memories. I know there are recipes in a lot of other threads but remembering where and from whom, takes more brain cell capacity than I have (or willing to allocate to that process). So I’m hoping some of you will post some recipes you cherish.

My Grandma made for me chocolate gravy to go on biscuits. Simple 6-3-2 with dash of salt. Sugar, cocoa & flour. With 2 cups of milk (although one of my older cousins said she used water in place of milk). By using milk, it any left, becomes pudding. Water, chocolate syrup. Split the buscuit, add good butter and pour the gravy over it. My kids and now g’kids love it. It’s so simple.

For my wife, chicken noodle soup. Believe she would live on that...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the recipe we did this past week with the chuck roasts was simple but the results were perfect. crock pot, chuck roast, garlic and onions in the bottom to start, put chuck roast on that, add a package of onion soup mix and a cup or two of water, put on high for a few hours, then turn down to low for a few more, add sliced mushrooms whenever and right before turning it down to low add cream of mushroom soup (one or two cans). the garlic, onions and mushrooms make for a great gravy along with all those cooking juices. meat was tender enough i was using only a small spoon to eat it.

we added carrots and potatoes to the first roast we did Wednesday, and the second roast we did on Thursday was bigger and we didn't add potatoes or carrots as we had sides of mashed potatoes and stuffing for that day. we're just now finishing up the leftovers, one more day and it should almost be gone.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom used to make what she called Cream Tuna.
It was a big can of Cream of Mushroom soup, a can of Tuna, enough milk to stretch it between however many people were eating. Sometimes is was thick like gravy and sometimes it was thin like soup.
Served over toast or biscuits.
Occasionally with a fried egg on top

Childhood comfort food.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Simple ... And, I'm glad that you said something about Mexican cooking, Seedcorn. It gives me an excuse to mention that the smell when we went into the nearby Mexican or Chinese restaurants as a kid would lift me a foot off the floor. It was years later that I learned that it was cilantro.

Tastes and cuisines differ, of course. Cooking habits differ, as well. Keeping it simple, that's easy for me. I just returned from the freezer with a steak. There will be leftovers (even though there is only one steak for 2 people. Beef with barley soup is my intention for tomorrow. DW always thinks of just the vegetables, or rice, or pasta. That's fine but pearled barley is especially good with beef.

Chicken and rice, chicken and pasta - sure. But, what happened to dumplings? Shucks, just use a biscuit mix. Stir up the dough and drop it in the cooking veggies and meat before they are finished cooking.

I don't think that the frozen beef I just carried in has a bone in it. Tsk, tsk ... Well, I'll just have to find a bag of frozen beef broth for tomorrow's soup. Always on hand and I plan to keep broth that way.

Broth can also be used in stir-fries. And, here is something that can be done with uncooked meat for steak or stir-fries, especially -- marinate it. It doesn't require much foresight and the ingredients can be simple as can be. Three things but yes, you can add your spices and garlic, etc. in the marinade but you can also put them in while cooking, right? Vinegar, soy sauce and oil, 1:1:1. If you think about it, there are many different vinegars and different sauces. You can even marinade Portobello mushrooms for a real taste treat. And, adding some flavor to bland tofu - marinade.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's a simple one that I love. We call them Sushi Crackers. You place one Triscuit (garlic flavor is best) on a plate. Spread your favorite spiced cream cheese on said cracker. Next place a piece of smoked salmon onto this. Now, put a touch of Dijon mustard on the salmon. Then put a slice of a mini cucumber on top of that mustard. Next, put a thin section piece of a red onion ( the size of a quarter) on top of the cucumber. Finally, add a kalamata olive on top (this is optional). Repeat process until you have several on your plate!
Enjoy your mini sushi sandwiches!
(You can mix and match different veggies. We have also added home grown sprouts on top -- this makes them really tall!)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watching PBS yesterday about Greek & then Mexican meals, it made we think about this site and it’s members. I now only use @ninnymary recipe for salsa. Can’t help but wonder how many other recipes are out there that are favorites that maybe simple but bring back great memories. I know there are recipes in a lot of other threads but remembering where and from whom, takes more brain cell capacity than I have (or willing to allocate to that process). So I’m hoping some of you will post some recipes you cherish.

My Grandma made for me chocolate gravy to go on biscuits. Simple 6-3-2 with dash of salt. Sugar, cocoa & flour. With 2 cups of milk (although one of my older cousins said she used water in place of milk). By using milk, it any left, becomes pudding. Water, chocolate syrup. Split the buscuit, add good butter and pour the gravy over it. My kids and now g’kids love it. It’s so simple.

For my wife, chicken noodle soup. Believe she would live on that...
Awww thank you Seed. But you need to try adding some chipotle peppers next time. It gives it a smoky wonderful flavor to it in addition to the roasting flavor.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For last night's dinner, the very final homegrown tomato went in a bowl of noodles, joining some green beans. There is plenty of frozen pasta sauce and tomato soup in the freezer, not to worry.

I guess grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup have regained the American public interest after all these years. It's fine for the gardener and so very simple. I'm such a fan that a few years ago I decided to expand my season for making tomato soup from those ripened on the kitchen counter in the Fall ~ and needing extra spices ~ right back to the earliest days of ripening on the vine. The most flavorful, of course, are right in the peak of tomato season.

The simpler that I have made things, the more pleased that I have been with the product. A long season provides a varying of flavors. At times, I have had over 30 tomato varieties to add to the choices. Peeling fell by the wayside when I learned that the blender can handle those peelings, just give it an extra couple of minutes -- and the consistency of the soup improved!

Cooking bacon first? Sure, but sausage and blending with the fried onions, shallots and garlic makes for a "spoonable" addition.

Cooking time -- the nose knows ;). You aren't likely to become bored waiting. It's about the same for me as it takes to grill that sandwich. Cheese is an essential in combination - just choose one that melts easily.

Steve

Latest posts