Feedback Needed: Add Required Field During Signup?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
This new system we're on has a lot of great features. One of them allows us to create a new field that is required for members to fill out during signup / registration. We can then display this field in their "postbit" (the area to the left of every post with the avatar, location, etc.).

For example, on my printer forum we require that new members enter in the model of printer they own, and display that below their Avatar on every post.

This does 2 things:
  1. It helps reduce the amount of spam since robots don't know how to use the field and other country spammers struggle with the question
  2. It helps members know more about their fellow members who are posting
So, we're thinking of adding a required field here too, but we need your help on brainstorming what that field should be. What basic information should we require of every member that signs up that would be helpful and/or fun to know?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What ridgerunner said and maybe what type of gardening they like to do. i.e. Flower, hydroponic, vegetable, etc...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it could be gardening zone and general location. Or State. Lots of us have that info already, but it would be helpful in answering many questions if we know at a glance where a new member is from.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Location/zone...because I get tired of asking folks before I can try to answer their question... :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with general location and growing zone. Those would be most useful for other members to know.

While the type of gardening most liked would be good, I couldn't choose only one anyway.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote for USDA zone.
Somewhere on the page could be the cold winter average temps that define which zone.

But to help weed out spammers, maybe the correct spelling of their state and their county, even if it would not be shown.

How many Romanian spammers know about County of Lake, California? Lol, in fact, most folks in this county think it is Lake County, and I often call it that.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth, are you sure about that County of Lake? I myself call it Lake County. So do all the news media and everyone else in the state. Could that many people be all wrong?

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth, are you sure about that County of Lake? I myself call it Lake County. So do all the news media and everyone else in the state. Could that many people be all wrong? Mary

I suspect you are both right. Legal papers describe this as "County of Rock" and my area as Town of Newark" but they are discussed as Rock County and Newark Township.

Latest posts