Fencing in your garden....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone else building fencing around the garden this year? Bare bones and utilitarian or creative and beautiful?

Show us pics of your fencing solutions!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm doing a picket fence around the raised beds, pretty basic... 4x4 posts at about 3ft high with pointed pickets. I've been considering painting it bright red for the longest time after seeing a Newfoundland & Labrador commercial where a man was painting a picket fence red. It looked incredible.

This is the picket fence in the front garden though, it goes around the front on a curve, 'hides' the hydro pole (I used it as a post) and I am installing gates at the pathways. It'll eventually go right round to the garage and have a gate and arbor..

house_snow-1.jpg

I think they call that picket style "victorian" or something, the fence is all cedar.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lupin, I love your house!! And your fence as well....and I think it would look adorable painted red.

I wish I had the time and the money to go with something more beautiful in fencing the garden...something like your fence or even a waddle fence...but I don't.

It will have to be sturdy and Plain Jane ugly for me. :/

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can't quite remember, but I think the picket for the front garden cost around $400-$500 total, its a big area though. I'm not quite finished it, we ran out of pickets in/around November and the mill had already closed for the winter.

I was thinking something like this for the veggie garden, which is on the other side of the garage, about 100-200ft from the house. It has to look nice because its something you see pulling up the driveway into the parking area.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/26555560_4daeb8b27e.jpg?v=0

This is what the front of the house looked like when we moved in..

front.jpg

I pulled that fence up *by hand*, no hammers, no tools, just pulled the posts right out of the holes lol.

The front garden is probably around 100ft by 70ft and on a hill, with rock, and lots of oak tree roots.

The vegetable garden is about 80-100ft by 30ft-40ft

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a big garden! I wish I could have a bigger one than I have~approx. 35 ft. x 65 ft~but I need to be able to drive around it. It lies smack dab in the middle of my yard!

If I had a bigger garden, I would be using some of my beds/rows for growing some whole grains. And more pumpkins!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Being "countrified"...I've always wanted a stick fence like the ones you would see in the Appalachian region or maybe in the Foxfire books. Just can't seem to get my "gehawses" goin to git-r-done.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I tried the whole plot gardening, rows, etc. thang when we moved in. Who knew we were the centre of all weeds? lol. The plot garden has been discontinued and getting covered for the season until I can put more raised beds on it next year. I'm doing pea-gravel or cedar bark pathways through my vegetable garden, otherwise I'd have to make the rows far enough apart to accomodate an L-175 John Deere ride on.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm doing the permanent pathways again this year but I'm seeding them to a clover mixture for the sake of my bees.

I am also doing a raised bed but only the hilled version, no wooden sides this time. This gives me more freedom with any kind of tillage I want to do later. I really wanted to do no-till soil but I'm settling for minimal tillage instead.

I'm doing a perimeter row this year so I can trellis my maters, peas, cucumbers and smaller pumpkins on the fence.

I'd also like to put up some kind of pvc arc wrapped in wire over my garden gates this year, so as to have peas, beans and bird house gourd vines to climb up. Another space saving idea that I wanted to try and it should look kind of cute once they've grown fully.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love how people plant clover and such as a cover crop, we have it growing everywhere. Can't kill the darn stuff. That and alfalfa, which smells wonderful and looks gorgeous in full bloom.... Except for the part where I have almost 2-3 acres of it which is meant to be horse pasture. The benefit of having an enormous horse who chops up the ground is that she single hoofedly killed an entire field of alfalfa this fall between eating it and trampling it hahaha. Now it just has to be seeded with actual grass and she can continue to kill the other field in a few weeks.

We have ladybugs in the trillions here, and lots of bees (I know this because they attacked me when I renovated the goat shed) plus lots of common garden wasps which are the non-threatening kind.

Our entire garden will be raised beds, with the "Mel's Mix" in them. I have 2 - 2ft x 10ft long pea beds (adding 2 more in the fall) with 6ft x 10ft trellis' on them, they're planted on both sides of the trellis in tight spacing to create a jungle of peas lol.

Mum wants Wisteria again, but we're trying to find a way to build a super strong arbor for it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sheep would love to "visit" your pasture! :D Just a little nibble here and there on your clover....I don't have much here.

How nice that you have ladybugs and bees for your garden! We should all be so lucky.... :rolleyes: I get plenty of carpenter bees and bumble bees in the garden but that's it.

My darn cat loves the taste of praying mantises..... :rant

My garden fence will be sturdy but not very pretty. Just locust corner posts, t-post in between and a woven wire fence~ green~ to finish. It's cheap and will keep out the sheep, dogs and chickens.

One gate is built from a repurposed pallet and the other gate will more than likely be made from part of a stock panel. I have found, though, that one can make anything look neat and unified if one applies a coat of paint to all components. :D

Latest posts