Fencing in your garden....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are going to go cut Bamboo from the side of the road, we have a HUGE bamboo forest area that is out of control. We're going to cut as many posts as we need, for FREE. :D

I need to fence out some 2 legged brats, who don't understand that the pond belongs to us, and they can't fish it and take what they want. :/

Now I'm worried they're going to mess with the orchard since its planted back where they sneak on the property.

The question is, should I just just the bamboo as posts, and the rest wire, or should I cut MORE bamboo (thinner pieces) and use them like privacy fencing?!

P.S. - Bee, I didn't know those T posts were so expensive! Those were orginally what we were going to do before hubby got laid off?! WOW!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I was going to go with t post around the garden but am thinking I will price wooden, untreated fence posts instead. It will look better and will be more sturdy for when I trellis my many tomato plants, cukes, and smaller pumpkins on the fence.

Around here, T-posts cost $4-$5 each.
Hey Beekissed, even cheaper than that is Free! :D Do you have access to a chainsaw and any land or neighbors/relatives with land who would let you cut locust posts? Even cedar is good, though not quite as long lasting as locust. Those should grow in your area.... That's what we use for our pasture fencing on my dad's farm.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nah, don't know anyone who would let me cut post for free around here.....I'm still considered an outsider. :rolleyes: I wish! That would make it much more simple! I have draw knives for peeling the logs and such.

VFEM, I've seen some very pretty and durable fences made from bamboo. They seem to last forever! I would make the whole darn thing from them. Are some of them tender and young enough to use as wattle? You could do your uprights from the larger, older canes and use the younger for the weaving. Now, THAT would be a great fence! :bee

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used landscaping timbers, very successfully. This time of year they are under 2.00 at the box stores. Depending on how high you want your fence- you might be able to cut them in half. I run either wire or chain link between mine.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, landscape timbers do make good posts. I used some for my chicken run. They are treated, so they last a long time. And they are strong enough to hang a gate on. You'd have to be careful not having them too close to your veggies so they wouldn't leach out to the roots. I think that would work great for perimeter fencing though.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, good idea on landscaping timbers! I don't want treated lumber near my garden though....I'd rather just go with raw wood. It will last all the years that I am here and that is all that matters to me.

I'll have to see if they have UNtreated landscaping timbers! :D

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am using old landscape timbers that have cracked and turned brown that was previously used in the goat fencing....do you thing they will be safer than new landscape timbers?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how long it would take but I've heard that treated wood leaches arsenic into the soil for years.

That being said, I have a few treated 4x4s as gate posts, swing posts and barn supports and hadn't given it much thought until I contemplated putting them around the garden...then I paused.

I just don't want to worry about that being in my food system anymore than it has to be.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't know how long it would take but I've heard that treated wood leaches arsenic into the soil for years.

That being said, I have a few treated 4x4s as gate posts, swing posts and barn supports and hadn't given it much thought until I contemplated putting them around the garden...then I paused.

I just don't want to worry about that being in my food system anymore than it has to be.
I used old treat decking boards as my raised beds. They were a good many years old, and I think they leached all they could before I got them. I just sealed the outside with a water based no VOC sealant and my garden has done fine. I just wouldn't worry with the old stuff. The new stuff I definitely wouldn't.

Bee, we're going 'shopping' on the bamboo lot to see how many fat fencing posts we can get today and see how thin the newer growth is. I got a bunch of the newer stuff (about 2" around) over a month ago and they've been drying and aging to be the poles for me pole beans this summer. I still have these bamboo posts in my garden from last year set up as a trellis. This stuff is strong as wood!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have done a lot of reading on this subject- it seems that the most arsenic leaches out in the first rainy season. Soil testing a few inches away from the posts, shows no increase in arsenic. So- I made the decision to let my posts age through a winter and then not plant veggies too close to them. Was unable to find untreated posts around here, but maybe they are available. Since a small amount of the post is actually in contact with the soil- I decided to take the chance...

Latest posts